Ackee and Saltfish Recipe

Horton

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! Today, I'm thrilled to share my recipe for Ackee and Saltfish—a beloved dish from Jamaica that's bursting with flavor and cultural heritage. It's a dish that's steeped in tradition and is enjoyed by Jamaicans and food lovers around the world. Whether you're looking to explore Caribbean cuisine or simply craving a hearty and satisfying meal, this Ackee and Saltfish recipe is sure to hit the spot. Let's dive into the recipe and experience the vibrant flavors of Jamaica together!
768×574
117.3 kB

Ackee and Saltfish.jpg

Ackee and Saltfish Recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 lb salted codfish (salt cod)
  • 2 cans (about 20 oz each) ackee fruit, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced (optional, for heat)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Salt, to taste
  • Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
  • Fried plantains, boiled green bananas, or dumplings, for serving (optional)
  • Jamaican hard dough bread or white rice, for serving
Instructions:

1. Start by preparing the salted codfish. Rinse the salted codfish under cold water to remove excess salt. Place it in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let it soak for at least 6 hours or overnight, changing the water several times to remove the salt. Once soaked, drain the codfish and shred it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
  2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add the minced garlic and diced bell pepper to the skillet. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
  4. Stir in the diced tomatoes and minced scotch bonnet pepper (if using). Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften.
  5. Add the shredded salted codfish to the skillet, along with the dried thyme and ground black pepper. Stir well to combine.
  6. Gently fold in the drained and rinsed ackee fruit, being careful not to break up the ackee too much.
  7. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the ackee is heated through and all the flavors have melded together.
  8. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, if needed.
  9. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the Ackee and Saltfish to a serving dish.
  10. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
  11. Serve the Ackee and Saltfish hot, accompanied by fried plantains, boiled green bananas, or dumplings, along with Jamaican hard dough bread or white rice.

Your recipe looks fantastic! 🤩 The combo of ackee and saltfish sounds delicious, and I love that it's a traditional Jamaican dish 🐟 Also, the different serving options sound amazing ..fried plantains or dumplings would definitely take this dish to the next level! 💯

This Ackee and Saltfish recipe is like a taste of the Caribbean in a single dish! 🌴🐟 The combination of ackee fruit and salted cod creates a unique and flavorful meal that's perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's a true Caribbean classic that never fails to satisfy. Can't wait to whip this up and transport myself to sunny shores with every bite! 🌞🍽️

I've always wanted to try making Ackee and Saltfish! 🍽️ Excited to give this recipe a go and enjoy a delicious taste of the islands. Thanks for the inspiration!

Back