Bagel Recipe

johnlloyd

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! 🥯

I’m so excited to share one of my all-time favorite recipes: homemade bagels! There’s something so satisfying about making your own bagels from scratch, and they taste incredible fresh out of the oven. I made a batch last weekend, and they were a hit, so I thought I'd share the recipe here. Hope you all give it a try!

Ingredients:

• 4 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 ¼ cups warm water
  • Optional toppings: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything bagel seasoning, etc.
Instructions:

1. Activate the yeast: In a small bowl, mix the warm water and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy.
  2. Mix the dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Pour in the activated yeast mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
  3. First rise: Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours until it doubles in size.
  4. Shape the bagels: Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then poke a hole in the center and stretch it slightly to form a bagel shape.
  5. Second rise: Place the shaped bagels on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover them with a towel, and let them rise for another 20-30 minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven: While the bagels are rising, preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
  7. Boil the bagels: Once the bagels have finished rising, carefully lower them into the simmering water, a few at a time. Boil them for about 1 minute on each side, then remove them with a slotted spoon and place them back on the baking sheet.
  8. Add toppings: If you’d like, sprinkle your favorite toppings over the boiled bagels while they’re still wet.
  9. Bake: Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
  10. Cool and enjoy: Let the bagels cool slightly on a wire rack before slicing and serving them with your favorite toppings and spreads. They’re best enjoyed fresh!
    Bagel Recipe.jpg

I’d love to hear if anyone tries this recipe and how it turns out for you! Homemade bagels are such a treat. Happy baking! 🥯👩‍🍳

Back