Beef and Guinness Pie

Luna

Culinary Explorer
I'm excited to share with you a recipe that's close to my heart and guaranteed to warm you up from the inside out – Beef and Guinness Pie. Picture tender chunks of beef slow-cooked in a rich and savory gravy, all encased in buttery pastry. This dish is the epitome of comfort food, perfect for cozy nights in or gatherings with loved ones. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to dive into this delicious homemade pie that will leave everyone coming back for seconds.

Now, let's get cooking!

Ingredients:

For the filling:

• 2 lbs (about 900g) beef chuck, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 cup (240ml) beef broth
  • 1 cup (240ml) Guinness stout
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
For the pastry:

• 2 sheets of store-bought puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. In a large bowl, season the beef chunks with salt and pepper, then toss them in the flour until evenly coated.
  3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in batches until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the browned beef to a plate and set aside.
  4. In the same skillet, add diced onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, carrots, and celery, cooking for another 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
  5. Return the browned beef to the skillet. Pour in the beef broth and Guinness stout, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the skillet.
  6. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let it gently simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened. Remember to stir occasionally.
  7. While the filling is simmering, roll out one sheet of puff pastry and line a pie dish with it, trimming any excess pastry.
  8. Once the filling is ready, discard the bay leaf and spoon it into the pastry-lined pie dish.
  9. Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and place it over the filling. Trim any excess pastry and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
  10. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg wash to give it a golden finish.
  11. Using a sharp knife, make a few small slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape during baking.
  12. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
  13. Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
  14. Slice into generous portions and enjoy this comforting Beef and Guinness Pie with your favorite sides.
Dig in and savor every mouthful of this hearty, soul-warming dish. I hope you enjoy making and devouring this Beef and Guinness Pie as much as I do!
beef and guinness pie recipe.jpg

At first, I think it's weird because a beef in pie? But when I saw the ingredients and how you made it. I know they will love this at the family dinner. Will try this for our next family gathering. Thanks for sharing. 😋😉🤩

Back