Beef Lauya Recipe

benzie

Culinary Explorer
Hey food lovers! I wanted to share one of my go-to comfort dishes—Beef Lauya. It’s a hearty Filipino beef stew that’s super flavorful and perfect for those days when you just want something warm and satisfying. My family loves it, especially during rainy days!

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs beef shank or oxtail (you can also use beef ribs)
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 5-6 cups water (or enough to cover the meat)
  • 2-3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 small green papaya or chayote, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 small head of cabbage, quartered
  • 2-3 pieces saba bananas, peeled and halved (optional, but it adds a nice sweetness)
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce (patis) or salt to taste
  • 1 tsp whole peppercorns
  • 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced
  • A handful of green beans or pechay (bok choy)
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • A dash of soy sauce or calamansi juice (optional, for a bit of extra flavor)
Instructions:

1. Start by boiling the beef in a large pot with water, ginger, onion, and garlic. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface as it cooks. Let it simmer over low heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and the broth is rich.
  2. Add the potatoes and continue simmering until they’re halfway cooked, around 10 minutes.
  3. Toss in the green papaya or chayote, and the saba bananas if you’re using them. Let them cook until they’re tender, about another 10 minutes.
  4. Add the cabbage and green beans or pechay. Season with fish sauce or salt to taste. Let it cook for a few more minutes until the veggies are just tender but still vibrant.
  5. If you like a bit more depth, you can add a dash of soy sauce or a squeeze of calamansi juice right before serving.
  6. Serve it hot with steamed rice, and enjoy the comforting warmth of the broth. Perfect for sharing with family! 😊
This dish is simple but super satisfying. I’d love to hear how you guys make your own version of Beef Lauya, or if you’ve got any tips to make it even better.
Beef Lauya Recipe.jpg
Happy cooking!

I’m a big fan of Filipino dishes, and this Beef Lauya recipe is like my ultimate comfort food. I love how you’ve included saba bananas—what a unique twist😄

This Beef Lauya recipe looks incredible! 😍🍖 I love how tender and flavorful it sounds. Can’t wait to try making this—thanks for sharing such a delicious dish!

Back