Biscuits and Gravy Recipe

Oniokitty

Novice Foodie
Hey everyone! 😊

I wanted to share my go-to recipe for a classic Southern comfort food: Biscuits and Gravy. This dish is perfect for dinner when you want something hearty and delicious. It's pretty simple to make, and I promise it’ll hit the spot.

Ingredients:

For the biscuits:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
For the gravy:

• 1 pound breakfast sausage (I like it spicy, but use whatever you prefer)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat
Instructions:

1. Biscuits:

1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
  4. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently pat it into a rectangle about 1-inch thick. Fold it over a few times to create layers, then pat it out again to 1-inch thickness.
  6. Use a biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out biscuits and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown on top.
2. Gravy:

1. While the biscuits are baking, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s browned and cooked through. Break it up into crumbles as it cooks.
  2. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to coat. Cook for about 1 minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
  3. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly. Cook until the gravy thickens, about 5-7 minutes. If it gets too thick, you can add a bit more milk.
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like a little heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
To serve:Split open a biscuit, spoon the sausage gravy over the top, and dig in! I usually serve this with a side of scrambled eggs or a simple salad to balance things out.
Biscuits and Gravy Recipe.jpg

Hope you all enjoy this as much as my family does! Let me know if you give it a try or if you have any tips to make it even better. 😊

I love that you use buttermilk in the biscuits, it really makes them fluffy. My grandma used to make them the same way. I might have to try adding some chopped chives to the gravy for a bit of extra flavor. 🙂🌸😉✨

Back