Caraway-Spiced Chickpea Stew with Mint Yogurt

Xerxes

Culinary Explorer
Hey Guys, sharing with you this Caraway-Spiced Chickpea Stew with Mint Yogur recipe :), I hope you'll embrace the Lenten season with this comforting yet nourishing food too, it burst with flavors and wholesome ingredients, it's a hearty dish perfect for observing the traditions of this sacred time.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight and drained
  • 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon dried mint
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
Instructions:

1. In a large pot, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced carrots and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside.
  2. In the same pot, add the remaining olive oil and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in the caraway seeds and ground cumin, cooking for another minute until fragrant.
  4. Add the soaked chickpeas to the pot along with enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  5. Once the chickpeas are tender, stir in the sliced Swiss chard and cooked carrots. Cook until the chard wilts, about 5 minutes.
  6. Season the stew with salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice, adjusting to taste.
  7. In a small bowl, mix together the plain yogurt and dried mint to create the mint yogurt topping.
  8. Serve the stew hot, topped with a dollop of mint yogurt and garnished with cilantro leaves.

Feel free to experiment with different leafy greens such as kale or spinach for added variety and nutrients. Save time by soaking the chickpeas and chopping the vegetables the night before. This allows for a quicker assembly when you're ready to cook. That's it guys I hope you like it .
    thank you

caraway spiced chickpea.jpg

Your recipe sounds perfect for embracing the Lenten Season. I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing!🍲😋
The Lenten Season with flavorful dishes like this one is truly special. I hope you enjoy cooking Caraway-Spiced Chickpea Stew with Mint Yogurt. Happy cooking, and here's to delicious meals during this meaningful time!:giggle:

Back