Cuban Ropa Vieja Recipe

clintonbee

Novice Foodie
Cuban-Ropa-Vieja.jpg

Ropa Vieja is a classic Cuban dish known for its tender, shredded beef simmered in a rich and flavorful tomato-based sauce. I recently made this dish, and the combination of spices, peppers, and onions created a mouthwatering aroma in my kitchen. It’s perfect served over rice or with crusty bread to soak up all the delicious sauce. Let’s dive into this recipe! 🇨🇺🥩

Ingredients:​

• For the Beef:
    • 2 lbs flank steak (or brisket)
    • 1 onion, quartered
    • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 8 cups water
  • For the Sauce:
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 onion, sliced
    • 1 bell pepper (red or green), sliced
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes (with juice)
    • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    • 1/2 cup beef broth (from the cooked beef)
    • 1 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp smoked paprika
    • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • 1/4 cup green olives (optional), sliced
    • Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Cook the Beef: In a large pot, combine the flank steak, quartered onion, smashed garlic, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
  2. Shred the Beef: Once the beef is cooked, remove it from the pot and let it cool slightly. Reserve the cooking liquid. Shred the beef using two forks and set it aside.
  3. Make the Sauce: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and bell pepper, sautéing for about 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
  4. Combine Ingredients: Add the diced tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, reserved beef broth, cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir well and let it simmer for about 10 minutes to combine the flavors.
  5. Add the Shredded Beef: Stir the shredded beef into the sauce and let it simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, allowing the meat to soak up the flavors. Add sliced olives, if desired, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Serve: Serve Ropa Vieja hot over rice or with crusty bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley for added freshness.
Cuban Ropa Vieja is a comforting dish that’s bursting with flavor and history. It’s perfect for family gatherings or any occasion where you want to impress your guests with delicious, homemade food. Enjoy every bite of this Cuban classic! 😊

This Cuban Ropa Vieja looks absolutely delicious! 😍 I love the flavors and the tenderness of the meat. It’s such a comfort dish! Can’t wait to try making this for dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yum, Ropa Vieja sounds amazing! 😍 That tender beef in a rich sauce must be so delicious! I can already picture it over rice or with some crusty bread. Can’t wait to try making it! 🇨🇺🥩✨

Back