Curious cook here: What's the diff between mayo and Thousand Island dressing?

Prutsald

Culinary Explorer
Curious cook here! 🍴🤓 Can someone enlighten me on the differences between mayo and Thousand Island dressing? 🥄💬 They seem similar, but I'm guessing there's more to it than just flavor. Excited to learn something new from all you food aficionados! 🎉

Curious cook here! 🍴🤓 Can someone enlighten me on the differences between mayo and Thousand Island dressing? 🥄💬 They seem similar, but I'm guessing there's more to it than just flavor. Excited to learn something new from all you food aficionados! 🎉
Sure! Mayo is creamy and tangy, made from oil, egg yolks, and vinegar. 🥪 Thousand Island dressing is similar but has added ingredients like ketchup and pickle relish, giving it a sweeter and tangier taste. 🥗 So mayo is simpler, while Thousand Island has extra flavors!

Mayo and Thousand Island dressing are creamy cousins, but with different personalities! Mayo is the cool, classic base made with oil, egg yolks, and a touch of acid. Thousand Island takes things up a notch with ketchup or tomato paste for sweetness, plus extras like pickles, relish, and spices for a more adventurous flavor.

Mayonnaise is a creamy emulsion of oil, egg yolk, and vinegar or lemon juice, while Thousand Island dressing typically includes mayonnaise as a base along with additional ingredients such as ketchup, sweet pickle relish, finely chopped onions, and sometimes other flavorings like Worcestershire sauce or mustard, resulting in a tangy and slightly sweet dressing with a more complex flavor profile compared to plain mayo. 🥪🍔🥗

Back