Ema Datshi

Twilight

Novice Foodie
My experience tells me that Ema Datshi, a hot and cheesy treat that will warm you up on a chilly day, is one of my favorite lunchtime foods from Bhutan. This is how to prepare it:

Ema Datshi.jpg
Ingredients:

• 4-5 large green chili peppers (adjust according to your spice preference)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 200g of Bhutanese cheese (or substitute with a blend of feta and cheddar cheese)
  • 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Procedure:

1. Begin by washing the green chili peppers and removing the stems. Slice them lengthwise and remove the seeds if you prefer a milder heat.
  2. In a large skillet or pan, heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic, and sauté until they turn translucent and fragrant.
  3. Add the sliced green chili peppers to the skillet and continue to cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
  4. Once the chili peppers have softened slightly, add the diced tomatoes to the skillet and cook until they begin to break down and release their juices.
  5. Crumble the Bhutanese cheese into the skillet and stir well to combine with the chili pepper mixture. Allow the cheese to melt and coat the vegetables evenly.
  6. Season the Ema Datshi with salt to taste, and simmer gently for a few more minutes until the flavors meld together and the sauce thickens slightly.
  7. Once the Ema Datshi is cooked to your liking and the cheese has melted into a creamy sauce, remove it from the heat and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
  8. Serve the Ema Datshi hot, accompanied by steamed rice or Bhutanese red rice for an authentic Bhutanese meal experience!
With its fiery kick and creamy cheese sauce, Ema Datshi is sure to be a lunchtime favorite for spice lovers and cheese enthusiasts alike. Enjoy the flavors of Bhutan right in your kitchen! 🇧🇹🍛

My experience tells me that Ema Datshi, a hot and cheesy treat that will warm you up on a chilly day, is one of my favorite lunchtime foods from Bhutan. This is how to prepare it:

View attachment 1135
Ingredients:

• 4-5 large green chili peppers (adjust according to your spice preference)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 200g of Bhutanese cheese (or substitute with a blend of feta and cheddar cheese)
  • 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Procedure:

1. Begin by washing the green chili peppers and removing the stems. Slice them lengthwise and remove the seeds if you prefer a milder heat.
  2. In a large skillet or pan, heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic, and sauté until they turn translucent and fragrant.
  3. Add the sliced green chili peppers to the skillet and continue to cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
  4. Once the chili peppers have softened slightly, add the diced tomatoes to the skillet and cook until they begin to break down and release their juices.
  5. Crumble the Bhutanese cheese into the skillet and stir well to combine with the chili pepper mixture. Allow the cheese to melt and coat the vegetables evenly.
  6. Season the Ema Datshi with salt to taste, and simmer gently for a few more minutes until the flavors meld together and the sauce thickens slightly.
  7. Once the Ema Datshi is cooked to your liking and the cheese has melted into a creamy sauce, remove it from the heat and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
  8. Serve the Ema Datshi hot, accompanied by steamed rice or Bhutanese red rice for an authentic Bhutanese meal experience!
With its fiery kick and creamy cheese sauce, Ema Datshi is sure to be a lunchtime favorite for spice lovers and cheese enthusiasts alike. Enjoy the flavors of Bhutan right in your kitchen! 🇧🇹🍛
Thanks for sharing the recipe! 🙌 Can't wait to try making Ema Datshi, it looks delicious! 🧀🌶️

Ema Datshi—now that's a taste of Bhutan I've been craving! 🇧🇹🌶️ This spicy cheese and chili stew is the ultimate comfort food with a kick. I can practically smell the aroma of melted cheese and fresh chilies wafting through my kitchen already! Thanks for sharing this authentic recipe—I can't wait to give it a try and transport my taste buds to the beautiful Himalayan mountains! 🏔️😋

Back