Fermented Hot Sauce Recipe

benzie

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I’ve been experimenting with homemade hot sauces and found a recipe that’s become a real hit in my house. It’s super simple and packed with flavor. Thought I’d share it here for anyone interested in making their own fermented hot sauce. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

• 1 lb (450g) fresh hot peppers (jalapeños, serranos, or a mix)
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 1 cup water (filtered or distilled)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (optional, for a touch of sweetness)
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar (for finishing)
Instructions:

1. Prep the Peppers: Wear gloves if you’re sensitive to spice. Stem and chop the peppers, keeping the seeds for extra heat.
  2. Blend Ingredients: In a blender or food processor, combine the chopped peppers, garlic, onion, and salt. Add water a little at a time until you get a smooth, pourable consistency. If you like a bit of sweetness, toss in the sugar.
  3. Ferment: Pour the mixture into a clean glass jar, leaving about an inch of headspace. Cover with a cloth and secure with a rubber band. This allows gases to escape while preventing contaminants from getting in.
  4. Let it Sit: Store the jar in a cool, dark place for about 5-7 days. You’ll see bubbles forming as the fermentation progresses. Taste it periodically—when it reaches a tangy, fermented flavor you like, it’s ready for the next step.
  5. Blend and Bottle: Once fermented, blend the sauce again until smooth. Stir in the white vinegar to stop the fermentation process and add a bit of acidity. Strain if you prefer a smoother sauce.
  6. Store: Transfer the sauce to sterilized bottles or jars. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months.
    Fermented Hot Sauce Recipe.jpg
Notes: Feel free to adjust the type of peppers and garlic to suit your taste. If you like it hotter, use spicier peppers or add more. Enjoy your homemade hot sauce with everything from tacos to roasted veggies!

Oh wow, that hot sauce recipe sounds 🔥! Totally trying this out – love the idea of fermenting for extra flavor! 🌶️ Thanks for sharing!

This Fermented Hot Sauce Recipe looks like it packs a punch! 😍 I’m all about adding a spicy kick to my dishes—can’t wait to try fermenting my own hot sauce. Sounds like a flavor game-changer!

Fermented hot sauce? That sounds intriguing! I bet the fermentation adds a unique depth of flavor. 🌶️🔥 How long do you typically ferment yours for?

Hey, that hot sauce recipe sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing—definitely trying this out for some extra kick on my tacos! 🌶️

Back