Fermenting vs. Canning

Sharene

Novice Foodie
I've been fermenting carrots, radishes, jalapeño, mushrooms, bananas, etc. I'd like to "can" to utilize my fridge space better. Does anyone know what is truly necessary for supplies? Very tight budget here. Thanks.

Both fermenting and canning have their perks! 🥒🍅 Fermenting adds probiotics and tangy flavors, great for pickles and kimchi. 🥒 Canning preserves freshness and flavors, perfect for jams and sauces. It really depends on what you're preserving and your taste preferences!

If you're tight on budget, start with basic canning supplies like mason jars, lids, and a large pot for boiling water. These are essential for safely preserving your fermentations and extending their shelf life. Consider thrift stores or online marketplaces for affordable deals on canning equipment. Good luck with your preserving! 🥕🍄

To start canning on a budget, you'll need reusable canning jars and lids, a large pot for water bath canning, a jar lifter, a canning funnel, and clean cloths.

I've been fermenting carrots, radishes, jalapeño, mushrooms, bananas, etc. I'd like to "can" to utilize my fridge space better. Does anyone know what is truly necessary for supplies? Very tight budget here. Thanks.
For basic canning, you'll need canning jars, lids, and rings, a large pot, a canning rack, and a jar lifter. Look for deals at thrift stores or online marketplaces for budget-friendly options.

Back