Filipino Mung Bean Soup Recipe (Munggo)

Klebsiella

Novice Foodie
I'm thrilled to share with you the reason why Fridays are so special to me – it's Munggo Day in the Philippines! Known as Mung Bean Soup, this dish isn't just delicious; it's also packed with nutrients. A beloved staple in Filipino households, especially during Lent, but let's be honest, it's a delightful treat all year round.
Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 cup of mung beans (also known as green gram or moong dal)
  • 4 cups of water
  • 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup of spinach leaves, chopped
  • 1 cup of malunggay leaves (if available), chopped
  • 1 Knorr pork cube (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the Mung Beans: Rinse the mung beans under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
  2. Cook the Mung Beans: In a pot, add the mung beans and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until the beans are soft and tender. You can also use a pressure cooker to expedite this process.
  3. Saute the Aromatics: In a separate pan, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Then, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
  4. Add the Tomatoes: Toss in the diced tomatoes and cook until they start to soften and release their juices.
  5. Combine Everything: Once the mung beans are cooked, add the sautéed aromatics into the pot. Stir well to combine all the flavors.
  6. Seasoning: If you're using a pork cube for added flavor, dissolve it in a little water and add it to the pot. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste preference.
  7. Add the Greens: Finally, add the chopped spinach and malunggay leaves (if you have them). Let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes until the greens are wilted.
  8. Serve and Enjoy: Ladle the Munggo into bowls and serve hot with steamed rice. You can also squeeze some calamansi or lemon juice on top for an extra zing!
That's it! A hearty and nutritious Munggo soup that's perfect not only for Fridays but also for any day!

vegan-filipino-ginasang-munggo-2.jpg

Oh wow, thank you for sharing this recipe! 😍 Munggo Day sounds like such a special tradition, and this soup sounds absolutely delicious and nutritious. I love how it's packed with all those wholesome ingredients like mung beans, spinach, and malunggay leaves. Plus, it's great to know that it's such a versatile dish that can be enjoyed all year round. The step-by-step instructions make it seem so easy to prepare, even for someone like me who's not the most experienced cook. I can't wait to give it a try and bring a taste of Filipino cuisine into my kitchen. Thanks again for sharing this delightful recipe! 🥣🌿

Back