Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole

corbin

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I want to share my recipe for Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole, it's a wholesome twist on the classic holiday dish that's sure to become a new family favorite. It's the perfect balance of sweetness and texture, without all the excess sugar and butter typically found in traditional recipes. Whether you're looking for a nutritious side dish to complement your holiday feast or simply craving a comforting and satisfying casserole, this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole is sure to delight your taste buds. So, let's gather our ingredients and get ready to enjoy some guilt-free indulgence together!
897×764
130.1 kB

Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole.jpg

ingredients you’ll need​

• Sweet Potatoes: you may also use butternut squash
  • Eggs (skip for vegan option)
  • Maple Syrup: or you may use honey
  • Sea Salt
  • Pure Vanilla Extract

for the crunchy Streusel topping​

• Oat Flour: or flour of your choice
  • Maple Syrup: or honey
  • Coconut Oil: or avocado oil, or unsalted butter
  • Chopped Nuts: can also be pecans or walnuts

HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE​

• Cook the sweet potatoes – Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot filled with water just enough to cover them. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Once potatoes are done, drain and mash them.
  • Make the sweet potato base – Stir in the eggs, maple syrup salt, and vanilla extract. Mix well using a potato masher, then spread the mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish. You may use a hand mixer.
  • Make the crunchy topping – In a mixing bowl, add oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and nuts. Stir until crumbly then
    sprinkle the topping all over the mashed potatoes.
  • Bake – Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden and crispy. Enjoy!

recipe notes and tips​

• Use whatever chopped nuts you like.
  • Don’t overwork the mash. You don’t want a super smooth mash for potato casserole because it won’t hold together properly. Also, a coarser mash gives the casserole its character and body.
  • You don’t need to add sugar. Although brown sugar is often used in classic sweet potato casseroles, this recipe does have built-in sweetness!
  • Use a preheated oven.
  • For a deeper flavor to your nuts, toast them up!
  • Ideally, let this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole stand at room temperature for around 10 minutes before serving.

Hey everyone! I want to share my recipe for Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole, it's a wholesome twist on the classic holiday dish that's sure to become a new family favorite. It's the perfect balance of sweetness and texture, without all the excess sugar and butter typically found in traditional recipes. Whether you're looking for a nutritious side dish to complement your holiday feast or simply craving a comforting and satisfying casserole, this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole is sure to delight your taste buds. So, let's gather our ingredients and get ready to enjoy some guilt-free indulgence together!
897×764
130.1 kB

View attachment 2879

ingredients you’ll need​

• Sweet Potatoes: you may also use butternut squash
  • Eggs (skip for vegan option)
  • Maple Syrup: or you may use honey
  • Sea Salt
  • Pure Vanilla Extract

for the crunchy Streusel topping​

• Oat Flour: or flour of your choice
  • Maple Syrup: or honey
  • Coconut Oil: or avocado oil, or unsalted butter
  • Chopped Nuts: can also be pecans or walnuts

HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE​

• Cook the sweet potatoes – Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large pot filled with water just enough to cover them. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Once potatoes are done, drain and mash them.
  • Make the sweet potato base – Stir in the eggs, maple syrup salt, and vanilla extract. Mix well using a potato masher, then spread the mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish. You may use a hand mixer.
  • Make the crunchy topping – In a mixing bowl, add oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and nuts. Stir until crumbly then
    sprinkle the topping all over the mashed potatoes.
  • Bake – Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden and crispy. Enjoy!

recipe notes and tips​

• Use whatever chopped nuts you like.
  • Don’t overwork the mash. You don’t want a super smooth mash for potato casserole because it won’t hold together properly. Also, a coarser mash gives the casserole its character and body.
  • You don’t need to add sugar. Although brown sugar is often used in classic sweet potato casseroles, this recipe does have built-in sweetness!
  • Use a preheated oven.
  • For a deeper flavor to your nuts, toast them up!
  • Ideally, let this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole stand at room temperature for around 10 minutes before serving.
Quick question - do you think using butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes would alter the taste drastically? Just curious for some variety in flavors 🤔.

Quick question - do you think using butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes would alter the taste drastically? Just curious for some variety in flavors 🤔.
Yum! 😍 Though I'd suggest using Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream for a lighter version. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I love how you've managed to create a nutritious twist on a classic dish without sacrificing any flavor. Can't wait to try making this wholesome and delicious casserole for my next gathering:)

Back