Healthy Twist on Classic Croissants

Bubbles

Culinary Explorer
Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts! Ever crave the buttery goodness of a croissant but want a healthier option? I recently experimented with a healthier twist on the classic croissant recipe and I'm excited to share it with all of you!

Ingredients:
Healthy Twist on Classic Croissants.jpg

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

Instructions:

1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it sit for about 5 minutes until frothy.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, honey, salt, and softened butter.
  3. Pour the yeast mixture and almond milk into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
  4. Mix everything together until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, you can add a little more almond milk, one tablespoon at a time.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
  6. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
  7. After the dough has risen, punch it down to release the air bubbles and divide it into 8 equal portions.
  8. Roll each portion into a triangle shape, then roll it up starting from the wider end to form the croissant shape.
  9. Place the croissants on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover them with a kitchen towel, and let them rise for another 30-45 minutes.
  10. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush the croissants with beaten egg wash.
  11. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
  12. Let the healthy croissants cool on a wire rack before serving.
I hope you enjoy baking these healthier croissants as much as I do! They're perfect for a nutritious breakfast or snack option without sacrificing the delicious taste of the classic treat. Let me know if you give them a try! 🥐✨

These healthier croissants sound like a great alternative to the classic version! I'll definitely have to try making them sometime. Thanks for sharing the recipe! 🥐

Back