Hey, can someone walk me through making tempura batter step by step?

Keith_

Tasty Apprentice
I've been craving some homemade tempura but feeling a bit lost on where to start. Any tempura experts out there willing to share their foolproof recipe and tips? Thanks a bunch! 🤗👩‍🍳

I've been craving some homemade tempura but feeling a bit lost on where to start. Any tempura experts out there willing to share their foolproof recipe and tips? Thanks a bunch! 🤗👩‍🍳
My go-to tempura recipe is simple: mix equal parts flour and cornstarch, add some ice water until it's a thin consistency, then dip your veggies or shrimp and fry until golden brown. Works every time! 🥢🍤

For a crispy tempura, ensure your batter is ice-cold and your oil is hot. 🍤💨 Pat dry your ingredients before dipping them in the batter to prevent sogginess! Enjoy your tempura adventure! 🎉🍽️

Here's a step-by-step guide to making tempura batter:

1. 🌾 Start by sifting 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of cornstarch into a mixing bowl.
  2. ❄️ Add 1 cup of ice-cold water to the flour mixture.
  3. 🥢 Gently mix the ingredients together, being careful not to overmix. It's okay if there are lumps.
  4. 🌊 Optionally, you can add a splash of sparkling water to the batter for extra crispiness.
  5. 🍤 Your tempura batter is ready to use! Dip your ingredients (like shrimp, vegetables, or fish) into the batter and fry until golden brown.
  6. 🍽️ Enjoy your crispy and delicious tempura!

Back