Homemade Birria Recipe

Horton

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! 🌮 I made this delicious birria the other day, and it was a huge hit! It’s a rich, flavorful Mexican stew that’s perfect for tacos or just enjoying on its own. Here’s the recipe if you want to try it out!
1500×1125
139.5 kB
1500×1125
139.5 kB

Birria.jpg

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs beef chuck or short ribs (cut into chunks)
  • 4 dried guajillo chiles
  • 2 dried ancho chiles
  • 2 dried pasilla chiles
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Instructions:

1. Prep the Chiles: Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles. Toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Then, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes until softened. Drain and blend into a smooth paste with a little bit of water.
  2. Brown the Meat: Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef chunks in batches, then set aside.
  3. Sauté Aromatics: In the same pot, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Stir in the minced garlic, cumin, oregano, and ground cloves. Cook for another minute.
  4. Combine Ingredients: Add the beef back to the pot, along with the chile paste, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine.
  5. Simmer: Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shreds.
  6. Shred the Meat: Remove the beef from the pot and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the pot and stir to combine.
  7. Serve: Serve the birria hot with tortillas, lime wedges, chopped onions, and cilantro.
So rich and flavorful—hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

That birria looks amazing! 😋 Thanks for sharing the recipe—definitely adding it to my must-try list! 🌟

Hey everyone! 🌮 I made this delicious birria the other day, and it was a huge hit! It’s a rich, flavorful Mexican stew that’s perfect for tacos or just enjoying on its own. Here’s the recipe if you want to try it out!
1500×1125
139.5 kB
1500×1125
139.5 kB

View attachment 6170
Ingredients:

• 2 lbs beef chuck or short ribs (cut into chunks)
  • 4 dried guajillo chiles
  • 2 dried ancho chiles
  • 2 dried pasilla chiles
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Instructions:

1. Prep the Chiles: Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles. Toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Then, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes until softened. Drain and blend into a smooth paste with a little bit of water.
  2. Brown the Meat: Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef chunks in batches, then set aside.
  3. Sauté Aromatics: In the same pot, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Stir in the minced garlic, cumin, oregano, and ground cloves. Cook for another minute.
  4. Combine Ingredients: Add the beef back to the pot, along with the chile paste, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine.
  5. Simmer: Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shreds.
  6. Shred the Meat: Remove the beef from the pot and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the pot and stir to combine.
  7. Serve: Serve the birria hot with tortillas, lime wedges, chopped onions, and cilantro.
So rich and flavorful—hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Hello everyone! For an extra kick, try roasting the chiles before blending them into the sauce. I think it really deepens the flavor though! 🌶️🔥

This Homemade Birria recipe sounds incredible! I love how rich and flavorful it looks. Perfect for cozy dinners and impressing friends. Thanks for sharing this gem—I’m definitely adding it to my must-try list! 😍

Back