Homemade hotdogs

Kerful13

Novice Foodie
Who else loves hotdogs, but wants to make it on her own? I discovered a very easy recipe for it, so here it goes!
homemade hotdog.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 pound ground beef (or a mixture of beef and pork)
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
  • Natural hog casings (available at most butcher shops or online)
Instructions:

1. Soak the hog casings in cold water according to the package instructions to soften them.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, cold water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and ground mustard. Mix well until all the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
  3. Prepare a sausage stuffer or a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
  4. Thread the softened hog casings onto the sausage stuffer or piping bag, leaving a small overhang at the end.
  5. Stuff the meat mixture into the casings, twisting the sausages into desired lengths (typically 4-6 inches long).
  6. Prick any air bubbles in the sausages with a toothpick or sausage pricker to prevent bursting during cooking.
  7. Place the sausages on a baking sheet or tray and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up.
  8. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Alternatively, you can cook the hotdogs in a skillet or broil them in the oven.
  9. Cook the hotdogs for about 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are browned and cooked through.
  10. Serve the hotdogs in buns with your favorite toppings and condiments.
You can enjoy your fresh homemade hotdogs! Better serve it with mustard 😜

That sounds delicious! My kids love hotdogs and making them at home sounds like a fun project. We'll try this recipe out this weekend for a little family time :love:

Homemade versions often taste so much better than store-bought ones... I wonder if it would be the same with hotdogs. Gonna try this out!

Back