Hong Kong Egg Tarts Recipe 🍮

Kiriya Ubuyashiki

Culinary Explorer
Hey friends! I tried my hand at making some Hong Kong Egg Tarts, and wow, they turned out so good! 😍 These are those cute, flaky little pastries with a silky-smooth egg custard filling that are perfect for an afternoon treat or a snack anytime, really. Whether you're a pro baker or just testing out your skills, this recipe is surprisingly fun and so worth it. Plus, the buttery pastry and that sweet eggy filling? Match made in heaven! 🎉 Let me walk you through the steps – it’s easier than it looks, trust me!

Hong Kong Egg Tarts.jpg

Ingredients:

For the Butter Dough:

• ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 11 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
For the Water Dough:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
  • ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3½ tablespoons cold water
For the Egg Filling:
  • 5 tablespoons whole milk
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Make the Butter Dough: In a food processor, blend the flour and cold butter into a thick paste (about 2 minutes). Spoon the dough onto plastic wrap and form it into a 5-inch square. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
  2. Prepare the Water Dough: Using the same food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons of the beaten egg. Slowly add the cold water while pulsing until the dough forms a rough ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes.
  3. Make the Egg Filling: Heat the milk and sugar in a small pot over high heat until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool for about 5 minutes. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the reserved beaten egg, then add the evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and cooled milk mixture. Strain the filling twice and refrigerate.
  4. Prepare the Pastry: Roll the water dough into a 10-inch square on a floured surface. Place the butter dough in the center (in a diamond shape), wrap the outer dough around it, and seal the edges. Roll out into a 6x12-inch rectangle. Fold both short sides toward the center, then fold again like a book. Wrap in plastic and freeze for 20 minutes.
  5. Repeat: Roll the dough into another 6x12-inch rectangle, fold both sides to the center, fold again like a book, and freeze for another 20 minutes. Repeat this process one more time.
  6. Shape the Tart Shells: Roll out the dough into an 11x14-inch rectangle (less than ¼ inch thick). Cut out 12 rounds with a 3¼-inch cutter. Place each round into a 3-inch egg tart mold, pressing the dough up the sides. Dock the bottoms with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
  7. Bake the Tarts: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Pour the egg filling into the chilled tart shells, leaving about ¼ inch at the top. Bake until the crusts start to brown (about 20 minutes). Lower the heat to 350°F and bake for another 13-15 minutes until the filling puffs slightly. Let them cool with the oven door ajar for 5 minutes, then fully cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy warm or fully cooled! 🍽

Wow, these Hong Kong Egg Tarts look absolutely delicious! The flaky crust and creamy filling are making my mouth water. They seem like the perfect treat for any time of day. I can’t wait to try making these at home! 🍮🥧

Back