Hungarian Goulash

Babylyn15

Novice Foodie
Are you a soup and meat lover? Here's a dish perfectly for you! It's called Hungarian Goulash. Here's a quick recipe.

Hungarian Goulash.jpg

Ingredients:​

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or lard
  • 2 large onions, finely chopped
  • 2 pounds (900g) beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
  • 3-4 cups beef broth or water
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
  • 2 carrots, sliced (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Sauté Onions: In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil or lard over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
  2. Add Beef: Increase the heat to medium-high and add the beef cubes. Brown the meat on all sides.
  3. Season: Stir in the minced garlic, paprika, caraway seeds (if using), salt, and pepper. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the paprika as it can become bitter.
  4. Add Vegetables: Add the chopped bell pepper and tomatoes (or canned tomatoes) to the pot. Stir to combine.
  5. Simmer: Pour in enough beef broth or water to just cover the meat and vegetables. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let it simmer gently for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally, and add more broth or water if needed.
  6. Optional Vegetables: If using potatoes and carrots, add them about 30 minutes before the goulash is finished cooking. They should be tender but not falling apart.
  7. Adjust Seasoning: Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary.
  8. Serve: Serve the goulash hot, traditionally with crusty bread, over noodles, or with dumplings.
Enjoy your hearty and flavorful Hungarian Goulash!

This goulash recipe sounds 🔥, perfect for a cozy night in—definitely adding it to my list! Thanks for sharing this gem; can't wait to try it out with some crusty bread on the side. You just made my next meal plan way easier! 😋🍲

This Hungarian Goulash looks like a cozy, comforting meal! 😍🍲 The rich, hearty flavors are making my mouth water. Can’t wait to give this a try—thanks for sharing such a delicious and warming recipe!

This sounds delicious! I've been wanting to try making goulash for a while now. The recipe seems pretty straightforward, even for a beginner like me. I'm definitely going to try this out this weekend. 😋😉🤩👌

Back