Iranian Fesenjan Recipe

itsmepat

Novice Foodie
Fesenjan-recipe-FINAL-10.jpg

Fesenjan is a rich and flavorful Persian stew known for its unique combination of ground walnuts, pomegranate molasses, and tender meat. I recently made this dish, and the sweet and sour flavors paired with the hearty sauce were absolutely delightful. It's traditionally served over rice and makes for a comforting and impressive meal. Let’s get started with this wonderful recipe! 🍽️🍂

Ingredients:​

• For the Stew:
    • 2 lbs chicken (thighs or drumsticks) or duck, skinless
    • 2 cups walnuts, finely ground
    • 2 large onions, finely chopped
    • 2 cups chicken broth (or water)
    • 1 cup pomegranate molasses
    • 2-3 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • Salt and pepper to taste
    • 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
    • Pomegranate seeds (for garnish)
    • Fresh parsley or mint (for garnish)
  • For Serving:
    • Cooked basmati rice

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Walnuts: In a skillet over medium heat, toast the ground walnuts for about 5 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Sauté the Onions: In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
  3. Brown the Chicken: Add the chicken pieces to the pot with the onions. Season with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Brown the chicken on all sides for about 5-7 minutes.
  4. Add Walnuts and Broth: Stir in the toasted ground walnuts, chicken broth, and pomegranate molasses. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
  5. Simmer the Stew: Cover the pot and let the stew simmer on low heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally and add more broth or water if the stew becomes too thick.
  6. Adjust the Flavor: After simmering, taste the stew and adjust the sweetness by adding sugar if desired. The flavor should be a balance of sweet and tangy.
  7. Serve: Once the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened, serve the Fesenjan over a bed of fluffy basmati rice.
  8. Garnish: Top with pomegranate seeds and chopped fresh parsley or mint for a burst of color and flavor.
Iranian Fesenjan is a unique and comforting dish that brings a taste of Persian cuisine to your table. The rich, nutty sauce combined with the sweet and tangy notes of pomegranate creates a truly memorable meal. Enjoy every bite of this wonderful stew! 😊

Wow, Fesenjan looks amazing! 😍 I love the combination of pomegranate and walnuts—it sounds so flavorful and unique. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing this delicious dish!

Fesenjan sounds amazing! 😍 I love the combo of sweet and sour flavors—totally a crowd-pleaser! 🍇🍗 Can't wait to try making it myself! Thanks for sharing the recipe! 🙌✨

Love Fesenjan! I think the pomegranate and walnut combo is unbeatable, though it takes some patience to get that perfect balance of sweet and savory! 🍇🌰

Back