Is eggnog originally alcoholic?

KarenDeel

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone, been mulling over a festive question: was eggnog originally made with alcohol 🤔🧐? From what I've gathered, this creamy holiday staple has roots stretching back to medieval Europe, where it likely started as a posh, boozy winter warmer for the aristocracy 😲. Back then, adding alcohol 🍻🍺 was common to preserve drinks, and it gave that extra warmth against the cold. Today, eggnog can be enjoyed with or without a spike of spirits, but it seems its historical recipe leaned towards the spirited side. Curious to hear if anyone's dug into this history more or has family recipes passed down through generations. How do you prefer your nog, spiked or sober? 😁😂🥴

Personally, I like my eggnog spiked during the holidays, but I respect everyone's preference. Cheers to festive traditions! 🎉

Yeah, it's pretty fascinating how eggnog has evolved over time. From what I've read, it seems like alcohol was indeed a common ingredient in the original recipes, like you mentioned. I personally enjoy a little kick in my eggnog during the holidays, but I know some folks prefer it without. Either way, it's all about enjoying those cozy vibes and festive flavors! 🎄🥂

Back