Is the brown stuff inside portobello mushrooms okay to eat?

Kardel

Culinary Explorer
I noticed some brown gills inside the portobello mushroom I was about to cook. Is this part edible, or should I remove it? Hoping someone with more mushroom prep experience can confirm. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! 🍴😄

Absolutely! The brown gills inside portobello mushrooms are totally safe to eat. 🍄👍 They add flavor and texture to dishes like grilled portobello caps or mushroom risotto. Just give them a light scrape if you prefer less texture. Enjoy cooking with these delicious mushrooms!

I noticed some brown gills inside the portobello mushroom I was about to cook. Is this part edible, or should I remove it? Hoping someone with more mushroom prep experience can confirm. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! 🍴😄
Yep, that brown stuff is totally fine! Those are the gills of the portobello mushroom, and they're safe to eat. Some folks remove them for aesthetic reasons or because they think they taste bitter, but it's all up to you!

Personally, I think it's safe to eat, though I sometimes take it off if I want a smoother dish. 🍄

Back