Malagkit Rice Cake (Biko)

lizasoberan

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone!

Biko is one of my all-time favorite Filipino desserts 🍚. Though there are many variations, here's my go-to recipe for Malagkit Rice Cake (Biko) that never fails to satisfy cravings.
1712709713205.jpeg

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups malagkit rice (glutinous rice), washed and drained
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Pinch of salt
Instructions:

1. In a pan, combine coconut milk, malagkit rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer until the rice is cooked and the mixture thickens.
  2. Add brown sugar, stirring continuously until fully dissolved and the mixture becomes sticky.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and flatten the surface with a spatula.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  5. Let it cool before slicing into squares. Serve as a sweet and chewy dessert or snack!

Hey everyone!

Biko is one of my all-time favorite Filipino desserts 🍚. Though there are many variations, here's my go-to recipe for Malagkit Rice Cake (Biko) that never fails to satisfy cravings.
1440×1080
227.4 kB

View attachment 1682
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups malagkit rice (glutinous rice), washed and drained
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Pinch of salt
Instructions:

1. In a pan, combine coconut milk, malagkit rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer until the rice is cooked and the mixture thickens.
  2. Add brown sugar, stirring continuously until fully dissolved and the mixture becomes sticky.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and flatten the surface with a spatula.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  5. Let it cool before slicing into squares. Serve as a sweet and chewy dessert or snack!
I've made Biko using a similar recipe, but I find adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the mixture really enhances the flavor.👌🏼 Also, topping it with toasted coconut flakes adds a nice crunch. 🥥 Give it a try sometime!

This is giving me all the nostalgic feels! 🍚✨ There's something so comforting about the sweet, sticky texture of biko that just takes me back to family gatherings and celebrations. Can't wait to whip up a batch of this Filipino favorite and indulge in a taste of home. 💛

Back