Morning's Nasi Goreng

duday

Novice Foodie
Hello my fellow foodies! Just wanna share my daily breakfast from these past few days, Nasi Goreng. I heard about it from my Indonesian friend, so I decided to give it a try. But guess what? I've become obsessed with it, and it's now part of my routine. You know, it solves my morning hunger and isn't time consuming to make, which is perfect for those who have work. Interesting, right? Now, let me give you the ingredients and instructions! 🙌

Ingredients:
IMG20240319162203.jpg

For the Spice Paste

• 2 small shallots (2 ounces; 55g)
  • 3 medium cloves garlic
  • 1 large fresh green chile, or 1 teaspoon chili paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
For the Nasi Goreng
  • 4 cups cold cooked jasmine rice (21 ounces; 600g)
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) neutral oil
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) sweet soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons (10ml) soy sauce
  • Kosher salt
  • Ground white pepper
To Serve
  • 2 large fried eggs, cooked sunny-side up or over easy
  • Sliced cucumbers (optional)
  • Sliced tomatoes (optional)
  • Fried shallots (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Make the Spice Paste:
    • Smash half of the shallots in a bowl until chunky.
    • Add the rest of the shallots, garlic, chili, and shrimp paste, and smash until mixed like thick oatmeal.
    • You can also blend all spice paste ingredients in a small food processor until smooth.
  2. Prepare the Rice:
    • If your rice is from yesterday, break it apart in a bowl to separate the grains.
  3. Cooking Nasi Goreng:
    • Heat oil in a big pan on high heat.
    • Add the spice paste and stir a lot to prevent burning. Cook until it smells strong and turns darker (about 2-3 mins).
    • Lower the heat if it's cooking too fast.
  4. Mix in Rice:
    • Put the rice in the pan and mix well with the spice paste.
    • Add sweet soy sauce and soy sauce. Keep stirring until the rice is hot and evenly colored.
    • Season with salt and white pepper.
  5. Serve:
    • Split the rice onto two plates.
    • Put a fried egg on each plate of rice.
    • Add cucumber and tomato slices on top, and sprinkle with fried shallots if you like.
    • Serve with sweet soy sauce on the side for extra flavor.

I suggest you give it a try, I promise you won’t regret it! Now, it's your turn—what's your daily breakfast? Tell me, and I might become hooked with it too! 🌅😋

Bro your Nasi Goreng recipe sounds amazing! I've never tried it before, but your enthusiasm has definitely piqued my interest. For breakfast, I usually go for something simple like yogurt with granola and fruit. But after reading your post, I might just have to switch things up a bit and give Nasi Goreng a shot! Thanks for sharing!

Back