Moroccan Chickpea Stew Recipe

Adam.eLeven11

Novice Foodie
Hey there, foodies! 👋 Today, I'm sharing a recipe that's close to my heart: Moroccan Chickpea Stew. 🥣 This hearty dish is bursting with flavor from aromatic spices like cumin, paprika, and cinnamon, creating a warm and comforting meal that's perfect for any occasion. Trust me, once you try this stew, you'll be hooked! 🍲

Moroccan Chickpea Stew (1).jpg

INGREDIENTS​

• 2 tbsp / 30 ml oil (I used olive oil)
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 4 shallots, finely chopped
  • 5 cups peeled and diced tomatoes OR 2 x 400 g / 14 oz tins of tomatoes
  • 3 tsp baharat spice
  • ½ tsp sweet paprika
  • ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper or hot chilli powder, adjust to taste
  • ¾ tsp salt, adjust to taste
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1 medium sweet potato (300 g / 0.65 lb), cubed
  • 2 tbsp dried barberries or blackcurrants
  • 10 black Kalamata olives, pitted
  • a handful of almonds, sliced
  • fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
  • cooked couscous or quinoa, to serve with

METHOD​

1. Chop almonds diagonally. Put a small frying pan on a medium heat and dry roast almonds until lightly browned and fragrant. Make sure you move them around the pan frequently as they burn easily.
  2. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan (ideally with a lid). Add chopped shallots and fry on a low heat until almost translucent, stirring from time to time.
  3. Add chopped garlic. Keep on stirring frequently until the onion is translucent and garlic softens completely and releases its beautiful aroma.
  4. Add all the ground spices to the fried shallots and garlic mixture and stir them around well. Fry them off gently for a minute or two stirring the whole time as they burn easily.
  5. Add tomato paste to the pan and stir it into the shallot and garlic mixture.
  6. Add chopped tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, salt and add half of the sugar to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid to cook chopped sweet potato. After about 12 minutes of simmering, take the lid off and let the sauce thicken by simmering it slowly, without the lid. Give the sauce a good stir from time to time.
  7. Once the sauce thickens, taste it and season with some black pepper and more sugar if needed.
  8. Finally, stir in cooked chickpeas, olives and currants and let them warm through. Serve over rice, quinoa or couscous, topped with toasted almonds and chopped parsley.

Hey there, foodies! 👋 Today, I'm sharing a recipe that's close to my heart: Moroccan Chickpea Stew. 🥣 This hearty dish is bursting with flavor from aromatic spices like cumin, paprika, and cinnamon, creating a warm and comforting meal that's perfect for any occasion. Trust me, once you try this stew, you'll be hooked! 🍲

View attachment 2482

INGREDIENTS​

• 3 tsp baharat spice
  • ½ tsp sweet paprika
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste

METHOD​

1. Chop almonds diagonally. Put a small frying pan on a medium heat and dry roast almonds until lightly browned and fragrant. Make sure you move them around the pan frequently as they burn easily.
  2. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan (ideally with a lid). Add chopped shallots and fry on a low heat until almost translucent, stirring from time to time.
  3. Add chopped garlic. Keep on stirring frequently until the onion is translucent and garlic softens completely and releases its beautiful aroma.
  4. Add all the ground spices to the fried shallots and garlic mixture and stir them around well. Fry them off gently for a minute or two stirring the whole time as they burn easily.
  6. Add chopped tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, salt and add half of the sugar to the pan. Cover the pan with a lid to cook chopped sweet potato. After about 12 minutes of simmering, take the lid off and let the sauce thicken by simmering it slowly, without the lid. Give the sauce a good stir from time to time.
  7. Once the sauce thickens, taste it and season with some black pepper and more sugar if needed.
  8. Finally, stir in cooked chickpeas, olives and currants and let them warm through. Serve over rice, quinoa or couscous, topped with toasted almonds and chopped parsley.
Yum, this Moroccan Chickpea Stew looks absolutely delicious! 🤤🥘 I can almost smell the fragrant spices and feel the warmth of each comforting bite! Can't wait to try making it myself!

Get ready for a flavor explosion with this Moroccan Chickpea Stew! The mix of spices, sweet potato, and tartness is awe-worthy.👌🍲

I absolutely adore the warm and comforting flavors of Moroccan Chickpea Stew! 🥘 The blend of spices and hearty chickpeas creates a dish that's both satisfying and delicious. 🌿

I absolutely adore the warm and comforting flavors of Moroccan Chickpea Stew! 🥘 The blend of spices and hearty chickpeas creates a dish that's both satisfying and delicious. 🌿
It's like a warm hug in a bowl, isn't it? The spices and chickpeas really do make magic together🍲

View attachment 2482

INGREDIENTS​

• 3 tsp baharat spice
  • ½ tsp sweet paprika
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste

METHOD​

This Moroccan Chickpea Stew is a must-try! It's packed with aromatic spices, tender chickpeas, and hearty vegetables, creating a comforting and flavorful dish that's perfect for chilly days. Plus, it's simple to make and incredibly satisfying!

Back