Mushroom Mapo Tofu Recipe

xxscj1678

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! Check out this delicious Mushroom Mapo Tofu recipe I stumbled upon! 🍄🌶️ It's got the perfect blend of savory mushrooms, spicy bean paste, and silky tofu, all simmered together in a flavorful sauce. 😋 Plus, it's super easy to whip up in the kitchen! Can't wait to give it a try and add some spice to my mealtime routine. Who's joining me? 🙋‍♀️

Mushroom Mapo Tofu Recipe
Ingredients:

• 2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms, washed (or 10 ounces creminis or fresh shiitake mushrooms)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 tablespoon douchi (fermented black beans), chopped
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons doubanjiang (spicy bean paste)
  • 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn powder
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 dried chile, such as Thai bird chile, chopped (optional)
  • One 16-ounce block soft tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Mushroom Mapo Tofu (1).jpg

Directions:
  1. Put 2 cups of cold water and the dried shiitake mushrooms in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let sit to rehydrate for 30 minutes. Squeeze excess water from the mushrooms, cut off and discard the stems, and finely chop the mushrooms. Measure the mushroom-soaking liquid and add enough cold water to come to 1 1/2 cups.
  2. Mix the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl until combined; set aside.
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a wok or large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the shiitakes and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, the ginger, douchi, doubanjiang, Sichuan peppercorn powder, garlic, and dried chile, if using, and cook until everything is bright red, about 1 minute.
  4. Add the mushroom-soaking liquid to the wok, scraping any brown bits off the bottom. Gently stir in the tofu and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce and sugar, then stir in the cornstarch slurry and half of the scallions. Bring to a simmer and simmer until the sauce is glossy, about 1 minute.
  5. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the remaining scallions and more Sichuan peppercorn powder if desired, and drizzle the toasted sesame oil on top.
Cook’s Note: If using fresh mushrooms instead of dried, skip the hydrating step and substitute your favorite vegetable stock or water for the mushroom-soaking liquid to deglaze the wok. This recipe is developed to be on the mild side, so feel free to increase the amount of dried chiles and Sichuan peppercorn powder to your liking.

Alright, folks, time to dive into some seriously tasty Mushroom Mapo Tofu! 🍄🌶️ It's been a blast sharing this recipe adventure with you all. Let's get cooking and enjoy every flavorful bite together! Remember, food is love, so let's spread some culinary joy! 😋👩‍🍳 Who's ready to dig in and savor the goodness?

Awesome!! The combo of savory mushrooms, spicy bean paste, and silky tofu sounds amazing ..Love that it's easy to make too - perfect for a weeknight with a kick! :love:😋

I've been very lazy to cook this past few weeks and I think I found a perfect and easy recipe to make. Will definitely try this. 😉👌✨👍

Back