Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice) - My family's recipe 🍚‼

てって

Novice Foodie
I was chilling with the fam, stuffing my face, when I realized our top-secret Nasi Goreng recipe hadn't escaped our kitchen! Like, how rude, right? This dish has been passed down for centuries, and it's basically the glue that holds us together. You're welcome, world. 🍚🍳🌶️

9.jpg
Ingredients:
  • 400 gram white rice (left-over or freshly cooked)​
  • 50 gram carrot​
  • 100 gram pointed cabbage​
  • 150 gram leek​
  • ½ tsp turmeric powder​
  • 2 tsp cumin powder​
  • 1 tsp cilantro powder​
  • 50 gram ginger (grated), or 1 tsp ginger powder​
  • 2 tbsp neutral oil​
  • 1 onion​
  • small bunch (10g) of celery leaf​
  • 2 cloves of garlic​
  • 3 tbsp Kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)​
  • 1 tbsp sambal to taste (Indonesian chilli sauce) (optional)​
  • 1 tsp trassi (fermented shrimp paste) (optional)​
  • Condiments to serve:​
  • Prawn crackers​
  • Atjar tjampoer (mixed pickled vegetable)​
  • Sambal (Indonesian chilli sauce)​
  • 4 eggs, sunny side up​
  • Sliced cucumber​
Directions:
  1. Cook your rice a minute shorter than what the packaging states. If using freshly cooked rice, spread it out on a tray to cool slightly. If you are using leftover rice - that's even better - break up any clumps.​
  2. Cut the leek in half and slice into rings of 1 cm. Dice the carrot, and cut the pointed cabbage and onion. If you use other vegetables, or left-over vegetables, cut them in bite-sized pieces as well. You can basically use any vegetable you like.​
  3. Gather the spices: turmeric, ginger, cilantro, cumin, garlic. Chop the shrimp paste, this is optionally. And grab your sambal.​
  4. Heat a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of neutral oil and sauté the onion until fragrant and translucent.​
  5. Turn your wok down to low heat. Add the spices, the shrimp paste and the sambal to the wok. If using sambal, adjust the amount according to your desired level of spiciness. Wok for 3 minutes.​
  6. Add the vegetables to the wok. Heat your wok over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly softened.​
  7. Add 1/3 of the cooked rice to the wok. And then add the kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). Use a spatula to break up any clumps and mix the rice with the vegetables and spices.​
  8. Add the other 2/3 of the cooked rice and the chopped celery leaves. Continue stir-frying the rice for about 5 more minutes until all the rice has turned brown and yellowish. Optionally you can now make a sunny side up egg in another pan. I really like a sunny side up egg as a condiment to this nasi goreng recipe.​
  9. Remove your nasi goreng from heat and serve on the plate with condiments such as: prawn crackers, store-bought atjar tjampoer (mixed pickled vegetables), sambal (Indonesian chili sauce), and your sunny side up egg.Selamat makan! (Enjoy your meal)​

Ah, Nasi Goreng, the Indonesian Fried Rice that's so much more than just a dish—it's a family tradition! 🍚🇮🇩✨ Let me walk you through the magic of this culinary masterpiece. Imagine a sizzling wok, filled with fragrant rice dancing in a symphony of spices and flavors. 🥢🌶️ Each grain of rice is infused with the richness of kecap manis, the sweetness of shallots, and the heat of chili peppers. 🌶️🧅 And let's not forget the irresistible aroma of shrimp paste, adding depth and complexity to every bite. 🍤💥 Tossed in with crunchy vegetables, succulent shrimp, or perhaps some shredded chicken, every mouthful is a journey through Indonesia's diverse culinary landscape. 🍤🥬🐔🌏 So, if you're looking to experience a taste of Indonesian hospitality and culinary tradition, look no further than a steaming plate of Nasi Goreng—your taste buds will thank you! 🌟👩‍🍳

Nasi Goreng? Yes, please! 🌟🍚 Such a classic dish packed with flavor and memories. Love that it's your family's recipe – those are always the best! Can't wait to give it a try and bring a taste of Indonesia to my kitchen. Thanks for sharing the love! 🙌😋

Nasi Goreng? Yes, please! 🌟🍚 Such a classic dish packed with flavor and memories. Love that it's your family's recipe – those are always the best! Can't wait to give it a try and bring a taste of Indonesia to my kitchen. Thanks for sharing the love! 🙌😋
Hey there! 🍽️ I think the beauty of family recipes is how they evolve over time. Though, are there any personal anecdotes or memories tied to your family's love for this dish? 🌟

Back