Pastrami Recipe

otterlyslick

Culinary Explorer
How-To-Make-Pastrami-square.jpg

I recently tried my hand at making pastrami at home, and let me tell you, it was a game-changer. The smoky, peppery flavor, combined with the tender, juicy beef, makes for a sandwich that’s truly unforgettable. Plus, the process itself is surprisingly satisfying. Here’s the recipe I followed to get that deli-quality pastrami right in my own kitch

Pastrami Recipe

Ingredients:

- 5 lb beef brisket​
- 1 cup kosher salt​
- 1/2 cup sugar​
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper​
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander​
- 1 tablespoon paprika​
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder​
- 1 tablespoon onion powder​
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard​
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes​

Brine:
1. In a large pot, dissolve the kosher salt and sugar in 4 quarts of water. Add the beef brisket, ensuring it's fully submerged. Refrigerate for 5-7 days.​

Seasoning:
2. After brining, rinse the brisket thoroughly under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.​
3. Combine the black pepper, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket, pressing it into the meat.​

Smoking:
4. Preheat your smoker to 225°F (107°C). Place the brisket on the smoker rack.​
5. Smoke the brisket for 6-8 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 190°F (88°C).​

Steaming:
6. Wrap the smoked brisket in foil and place it in a roasting pan. Add a cup of water to the pan.​
7. Steam the brisket in the oven at 250°F (121°C) for 2-3 hours.​

Serving:
8. Let the pastrami cool slightly, then slice thinly against the grain.​

The first bite is truly incredible – smoky, spicy, and perfectly seasoned. Serve it on rye bread with a good mustard, and you've got yourself an unbeatable homemade pastrami sandwich. Enjoy!

View attachment 4405

I recently tried my hand at making pastrami at home, and let me tell you, it was a game-changer. The smoky, peppery flavor, combined with the tender, juicy beef, makes for a sandwich that’s truly unforgettable. Plus, the process itself is surprisingly satisfying. Here’s the recipe I followed to get that deli-quality pastrami right in my own kitch

Pastrami Recipe

Ingredients:

- 5 lb beef brisket​
- 1 cup kosher salt​
- 1/2 cup sugar​
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper​
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander​
- 1 tablespoon paprika​
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder​
- 1 tablespoon onion powder​
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard​
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes​

Brine:
1. In a large pot, dissolve the kosher salt and sugar in 4 quarts of water. Add the beef brisket, ensuring it's fully submerged. Refrigerate for 5-7 days.​

Seasoning:
2. After brining, rinse the brisket thoroughly under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.​
3. Combine the black pepper, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket, pressing it into the meat.​

Smoking:
4. Preheat your smoker to 225°F (107°C). Place the brisket on the smoker rack.​
5. Smoke the brisket for 6-8 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 190°F (88°C).​

Steaming:
6. Wrap the smoked brisket in foil and place it in a roasting pan. Add a cup of water to the pan.​
7. Steam the brisket in the oven at 250°F (121°C) for 2-3 hours.​

Serving:
8. Let the pastrami cool slightly, then slice thinly against the grain.​

The first bite is truly incredible – smoky, spicy, and perfectly seasoned. Serve it on rye bread with a good mustard, and you've got yourself an unbeatable homemade pastrami sandwich. Enjoy!
Wow, this pastrami is incredible! The meat is so tender and juicy, and the spices are just perfect. It's got that smoky, savory flavor that's absolutely delicious. I can't believe how good this turned out! This is actually my first time trying and tasting it too, so I'm super impressed. 🤤(y)(y)

I tried making pastrami once, and wow, what an experience! The whole brining process was new to me, but the final product was worth it. The smoky flavor from the hours in the smoker and that perfect tenderness... it's like biting into deli heaven.

Wow, this looks amazing! I've always wanted to try making my own pastrami, but I wasn't sure how difficult it would be. Your recipe seems really straightforward. Did it really take 5-7 days for the brining? That seems like a long wait, but I bet the end result is worth it! 🙂👌😉✨🌸

Back