Pulpo a la Gallega

stephaniesooenjoyer

Novice Foodie
Hey everyone! 🙋‍♂️I wanted to share a delicious Spanish dish with you all: Pulpo a la Gallega (Galician-style Octopus). It's a traditional recipe from Galicia that's super flavorful and surprisingly easy to make. Perfect for impressing guests or just treating yourself to something special! Enjoy! 🦑🍷
Pulpo a la Gallega.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 whole octopus (about 2-3 pounds)
  • 3 large potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Olive oil
  • Sweet paprika (pimentón dulce)
  • Sea salt
Instructions:

1. Clean the Octopus: Rinse the octopus under cold water. If not already done, remove the beak and eyes.
  2. Cook the Octopus:
    • Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
    • Add the onion and bay leaves to the water.
    • To tenderize the octopus, dip it into the boiling water three times before fully submerging it. This helps the tentacles curl up nicely.
    • Cook the octopus for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender. You can test by piercing the thickest part with a fork.
  3. Cook the Potatoes:
    • While the octopus is cooking, peel and slice the potatoes into thick rounds.
    • Boil the potatoes in a separate pot of salted water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  4. Assemble the Dish:
    • Once the octopus is cooked, remove it from the pot and let it cool slightly.
    • Cut the octopus into bite-sized pieces.
  5. Serve:
    • Arrange the potato slices on a serving plate.
    • Place the octopus pieces on top of the potatoes.
    • Drizzle generously with olive oil.
    • Sprinkle with sea salt and sweet paprika.

Looks amazing! :love: Galician octopus is actually new to me, but I gotta try it! 🐙 Simple recipe for a fancy weeknight meal ..Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing your recipe for Pulpo a la Gallega! 🐙🇪🇸 It's wonderful to see such a classic Spanish dish being celebrated. Your recipe captures the essence of Galician cuisine with its simplicity and bold flavors. I appreciate the traditional approach of cooking octopus until tender and serving it with potatoes, paprika, and olive oil. This dish is not only delicious but also a delightful representation of Spanish culinary heritage. I can't wait to recreate it at home and savor the authentic taste of Pulpo a la Gallega! 🌟😋

Hey everyone! 🙋‍♂️I wanted to share a delicious Spanish dish with you all: Pulpo a la Gallega (Galician-style Octopus). It's a traditional recipe from Galicia that's super flavorful and surprisingly easy to make. Perfect for impressing guests or just treating yourself to something special! Enjoy! 🦑🍷
View attachment 3453

Ingredients:

• 1 whole octopus (about 2-3 pounds)
  • 3 large potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Olive oil
  • Sweet paprika (pimentón dulce)
  • Sea salt
Instructions:

1. Clean the Octopus: Rinse the octopus under cold water. If not already done, remove the beak and eyes.
  2. Cook the Octopus:
    • Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
    • Add the onion and bay leaves to the water.
    • To tenderize the octopus, dip it into the boiling water three times before fully submerging it. This helps the tentacles curl up nicely.
    • Cook the octopus for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender. You can test by piercing the thickest part with a fork.
  3. Cook the Potatoes:
    • While the octopus is cooking, peel and slice the potatoes into thick rounds.
    • Boil the potatoes in a separate pot of salted water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  4. Assemble the Dish:
    • Once the octopus is cooked, remove it from the pot and let it cool slightly.
    • Cut the octopus into bite-sized pieces.
  5. Serve:
    • Arrange the potato slices on a serving plate.
    • Place the octopus pieces on top of the potatoes.
    • Drizzle generously with olive oil.
    • Sprinkle with sea salt and sweet paprika.
Pulpo a la Gallega is one of my favorites! This recipe looks spot on. Has anyone tried adding a dash of smoked paprika for extra flavor? Can't wait to recreate this classic dish at home! 🐙🍋🌶️

Back