Ratatouille Recipe

Mary.Grace05

Novice Foodie
Hey everyone! 👋 Today, I want to share one of my signature dish that truly my family and friends love: Ratatouille. 🍆🍅 This dish holds a special place in my heart because it's not only delicious but also a great way to showcase seasonal veggies. 😊 Trust me, once you taste this flavorful medley of eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes, you'll be hooked! 🍽️

Ratatouille (1).jpg

Ingredients​

EGGPLANT:​

• 1 eggplant (aubergine) , cut into 2cm / ¾" cubes (leave skin on) (~450g / 16oz)
  • 1/2 tsp salt , cooking / kosher salt

OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR RATATOUILLE:​

• 3 tomatoes , chopped (~150g / 5oz each), Note 1 canned subs
  • 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 brown onion , chopped 1cm / ⅖" cubes (~150g / 5oz each)
  • 2 capsicum (1 red, 1 yellow), cut into 2cm / ⅘" cubes (~200g / 7oz each)
  • 2 zucchinis (courgettes), diced into 1.5cm / ½" pieces (~200g / 7oz each)
  • 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped (~3 tsp)
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves , chopped (Note 2 for subs)
  • 3/4 tsp salt , cooking/kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 20 black olives , pitted, halved

FINISHING:​

• 1 tbsp fresh basil , finely chopped, plus more for garnish (Note 2 subs)
  • Extra virgin olive oil , for drizzling

Instructions​

• Sweat eggplant: Place eggplant in a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, toss with hands. Leave for 30 minutes to sweat (no need to wipe off water that beads on surface).
  • Make tomato puree: Place tomato in a blender, food processor or other appliance of choice. Blitz until smooth. (No need to do this if using passata or crushed tomato.)

COOK VEGETABLES:​

• Cook eggplant: Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add eggplant and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until it's golden on the surface but still somewhat firm and raw inside. Transfer to a large pot.
  • Cook onion and garlic: In the same skillet, add another 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and garlic with a pinch of the salt. Cook for 3 minutes until onion is soft with a hint of golden on the edges. Add to pot holding eggplant.
  • Cook capsicum: Add another 1 tbsp of olive oil and cook the capsicum with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. It should still be firm inside. You won't get much colour on the capsicum, this is OK. Add to pot.
  • Cook zucchini: Add another 1 tbsp olive oil and cook the zucchini with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Make sure it stays firm (ie. raw inside). Like the capsicum, it won't go golden. Add to pot.
  • Add remaining ingredients to pot: Turn the stove under the pot to medium-high. Add tomato, thyme, olives, remaining salt and all the pepper, and mix. Once the mixture is hot, reduce heat to a low simmer.
  • Braise: Cook for 20 – 25 minutes with the pot lid off, stirring every now and then, until all the vegetables are cooked through and the liquid has reduced. The mixture should be thick enough so you can pile it on a plate (ie. not watery), but still very moist and juicy.
  • Basil and salt: Taste and add more salt if needed; vegetables can taste bland if not enough salt is added. Stir through basil then serve immediately, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of extra basil on top, if desired. Serve as a main with crusty bread, or as a side dish. See above recipe card for more ideas!

I've been meaning to try making Ratatouille at home! 😄 Your recipe looks fantastic, and I appreciate the step-by-step instructions. The combination of eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

I've been meaning to try making Ratatouille at home! 😄 Your recipe looks fantastic, and I appreciate the step-by-step instructions. The combination of eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Ratatouille is a summer favorite! 🌞 Though I think serving it over a bed of creamy polenta or couscous makes it a complete meal. 🍲

Ratatouille? Yes, please! 🍅🥒🍆 There's something so comforting about a hearty dish loaded with all those colorful veggies and fragrant herbs. Can't wait to give your recipe a try and transport myself to the streets of Paris with every bite! Thanks for sharing this taste of culinary magic!

Back