Recreating this Kung Pao chicken at home 🍗

laplus

Tasty Apprentice
Hey there! I just discovered this Kung Pao chicken is easy to make at home. It is very popular in Chinese restaurants, and I absolutely love it. Since I travel a lot and I am so far away from the city craving it, I’ve found some ways to recreate it. Hope this recipe will help you satisfy your craving for Kung Pao chicken so you won’t need to visit restaurants.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
kung pao.jpg

Total Time: 30 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

For the Chicken:

28 ounces (800g) boneless/skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or dry sherry
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cornstarch / corn flour

For the Sauce:
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock (or broth) -- water can be used
5 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar (or substitute good-quality balsamic vinegar)
2 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sugar*
1 teaspoon cornstarch / corn flour

For Stir Fry:
4 tablespoons cooking oil divided
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic (4-6 cloves)
1 tablespoon ginger
1/2 red bell pepper (capsicum) seeded and diced
1/2 green bell pepper (capsicum) seeded and diced
8-10 dried chilies cut into ½-inch pieces (adjust to taste)
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, lightly toasted and ground**
4 green onion / scallion stems cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup roasted/unsalted peanuts
2 teaspoons sesame oil optional

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine all ingredients for the chicken in a shallow bowl; cover and marinate for 10 minutes (if time allows).
  2. Whisk sauce ingredients together until sugar dissolves; set aside.
  3. Heat a large skillet, pan or wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, allow to heat up, then add marinated chicken. Fry chicken for 3-4 minutes while occasionally stirring, until edges are browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Add remaining cooking oil into the same pan/wok. Stir in garlic, ginger, chili diced peppers (capsicums) and Sichuan peppercorns and stir fry for 1 minute.
  5. Give the prepared sauce a mix, then pour it into the pan and bring it to a boil while stirring.
  6. Once it begins to thicken slightly, add chicken back into the pan/wok and mix all of the ingredients through the sauce until the chicken is evenly coated and sauce has thickened, (about 2 minutes).
  7. Stir in green onions, peanuts and sesame oil. Toss well and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes to infuse all of the flavours together.
  8. Serve immediately with steamed/cooked rice or fried rice!

It takes a lot of time to prepare, but it was worth it! And take note of the sauce: the sweetness or the spice level varies for everyone's different tastes. Start with 1 teaspoon if you are hesitant, and adjust accordingly to make it suitable for your taste.

Thanks for sharing this Kung Pao chicken recipe! It looks like a great way to satisfy those Chinese food cravings without having to hit up a restaurant. I'm definitely going to give it a try sometime soon. Just gotta make sure I've got all the ingredients handy. Cheers!

Back