Scottish Oatmeal Rolls

Bubbles

Culinary Explorer
Scottish Oatmeal Rolls.jpg
Hey everyone! These rolls are not only incredibly delicious but also have a unique texture and flavor thanks to the addition of oats.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup warm water (about 110°F)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
  • 1 cup Scottish oatmeal (steel-cut oats)
  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • Additional oats for topping (optional)
Instructions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and honey or maple syrup. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until the yeast becomes frothy.
  2. Stir in the Scottish oatmeal and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes to allow the oats to soften slightly.
  3. Add the bread flour, salt, and melted butter to the bowl, and mix until a dough forms.
  4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
  5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours, or until doubled in size.
  6. Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12 equal-sized portions. Shape each portion into a ball and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving space between each roll.
  7. Cover the rolls loosely with plastic wrap and let them rise for another 30-45 minutes.
  8. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). If desired, brush the tops of the rolls with water and sprinkle additional oats on top.
  9. Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
  10. Let the rolls cool on a wire rack before serving.
I had so much fun experimenting with this Scottish oatmeal rolls recipe, and I'm excited to share it with all of you! These rolls are perfect for serving alongside soups, stews, or simply slathered with butter for a delicious snack. Give them a try! Happy baking! 🍞✨

I loved the subtle nuttiness from the oats—it added such a nice touch. Serving them with warm of butter and honey, and they were an absolute hit with my family. 😉👍✨

These Scottish Oatmeal Rolls are calling my name! 🏴🍞 Can't wait to bake up a batch and enjoy them warm with some butter. Thanks for the mouthwatering recipe!

Back