South African Bobotie Recipe

doebadie

Culinary Explorer
images (3).jpg

Bobotie is a beloved South African dish that combines spiced minced meat with a creamy, savory topping. It’s comforting and flavorful, often served with yellow rice and chutney. I recently made this dish, and the blend of spices and textures was absolutely delightful! Let’s dive into this traditional recipe! 🇿🇦🍛

Ingredients:​

For the Meat Filling:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb ground beef (or lamb)
  • 1 slice white bread, crusts removed
  • 1/2 cup milk (for soaking the bread)
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
  • 1/4 cup almonds or slivered almonds
  • 2 tbsp chutney (fruit chutney preferred)
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 large eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For the Topping:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • Bay leaves (for garnish)

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Bread: Soak the slice of bread in 1/2 cup of milk until soft. Once soaked, squeeze out excess milk and crumble the bread into a bowl.
  2. Sauté the Aromatics: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, sautéing until the onion is translucent (about 5-7 minutes).
  3. Cook the Meat: Add the ground beef (or lamb) to the skillet, cooking until browned. Break up the meat with a spoon as it cooks.
  4. Mix in Spices and Other Ingredients: Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, oregano, raisins, almonds, chutney, Worcestershire sauce, and the crumbled bread. Mix well to combine.
  5. Add Eggs: In a separate bowl, beat the 2 eggs and add them to the meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together until well combined.
  6. Transfer to Baking Dish: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Transfer the meat mixture to a greased baking dish, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  7. Make the Topping: In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk and 2 eggs. Pour this mixture over the meat filling in the baking dish. Gently press a few bay leaves into the mixture for garnish.
  8. Bake: Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the topping is set and lightly golden.
  9. Serve: Allow the Bobotie to cool slightly before slicing. Serve with yellow rice, chutney, and a side of vegetables or salad.
South African Bobotie is a delightful fusion of flavors and textures, offering a unique culinary experience. It’s perfect for family gatherings or any occasion where you want to impress your guests with something special. Enjoy every bite of this delicious dish! 😊

Ooh, Bobotie is such a flavorful dish! 😍 I love the mix of sweet and savory with the spices and that egg topping. Definitely adding this to my must-try list! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!

That sounds amazing! Bobotie is such a delicious comfort food! 😍🍽️ I love how the spices come together, especially with that creamy topping. Can’t wait to try making it myself! 🇿🇦✨

View attachment 6530

Bobotie is a beloved South African dish that combines spiced minced meat with a creamy, savory topping. It’s comforting and flavorful, often served with yellow rice and chutney. I recently made this dish, and the blend of spices and textures was absolutely delightful! Let’s dive into this traditional recipe! 🇿🇦🍛

Ingredients:​

For the Meat Filling:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb ground beef (or lamb)
  • 1 slice white bread, crusts removed
  • 1/2 cup milk (for soaking the bread)
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
  • 1/4 cup almonds or slivered almonds
  • 2 tbsp chutney (fruit chutney preferred)
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 large eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For the Topping:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • Bay leaves (for garnish)

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Bread: Soak the slice of bread in 1/2 cup of milk until soft. Once soaked, squeeze out excess milk and crumble the bread into a bowl.
  2. Sauté the Aromatics: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, sautéing until the onion is translucent (about 5-7 minutes).
  3. Cook the Meat: Add the ground beef (or lamb) to the skillet, cooking until browned. Break up the meat with a spoon as it cooks.
  4. Mix in Spices and Other Ingredients: Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, oregano, raisins, almonds, chutney, Worcestershire sauce, and the crumbled bread. Mix well to combine.
  5. Add Eggs: In a separate bowl, beat the 2 eggs and add them to the meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together until well combined.
  6. Transfer to Baking Dish: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Transfer the meat mixture to a greased baking dish, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  7. Make the Topping: In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk and 2 eggs. Pour this mixture over the meat filling in the baking dish. Gently press a few bay leaves into the mixture for garnish.
  8. Bake: Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the topping is set and lightly golden.
  9. Serve: Allow the Bobotie to cool slightly before slicing. Serve with yellow rice, chutney, and a side of vegetables or salad.
South African Bobotie is a delightful fusion of flavors and textures, offering a unique culinary experience. It’s perfect for family gatherings or any occasion where you want to impress your guests with something special. Enjoy every bite of this delicious dish! 😊
Yum! I think adding a bit of apricot jam gives it that perfect sweet-salty balance, though some prefer raisins for a fruity kick. 🍗🍑

I will definitely make this every holiday, and every occasion!!!! 😍🤩😋🤤 This is a great recipe. I have made it a few times and it never disappoints!

Back