Traditional Roast Lamb

EternalVoyager

Culinary Explorer
Hi there! This dish has been a favorite since my childhood, passed down from my mother, and I'm thrilled to find a recipe online that closely resembles her cooking. So here it is!

Ingredients
traditional-roast-lamb-76337-1.jpeg

• 2kg leg of lamb, fat trimmed
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1.5kg chat potatoes

Basic gravy (makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups)

• 2 cups Massel beef style stock
  • 3/4 cup red wine
  • 2 1/2 tbsp Coles White Plain Flour

DIRECTIONS

Step 1
    Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Lightly grease roasting pan. Place 2kg leg of lamb, fat trimmed in pan. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves and 2 garlic cloves, crushed in a bowl. Rub half the oil mixture over lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
    Step 2
    Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Roast lamb, basting with remaining oil mixture every 20 minutes, for 1 hour 15 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Add 1.5kg chat potatoes to pan for last 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
    Step 3
    Remove lamb from oven. Cover loosely with foil. Stand for 10 minutes. Carve. Serve with potatoes.
    Step 4
    Basic Gravy: Transfer meat (and any vegetables) to a plate to rest. Combine 2 cups Massel beef style stock and 3/4 cup red wine in a jug. Skim fat from roasting pan, leaving 1 1/2 tablespoons pan juices and fat in pan. Place pan over high heat. Add 2 1/2 tbsp Coles White Plain Flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and becomes golden. Add juices from resting meat. Slowly add stock mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, scraping pan, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.

Last edited:
Back