What culture is teriyaki sauce from?

Lego

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! 💓👩‍🍳 I've been diving into the world of sauces and got intrigued by teriyaki sauce. It's such a staple in many of our kitchens, but I realized I didn’t know much about its origins. Teriyaki sauce hails from Japanese cuisine, where “teri” means luster and “yaki” refers to the cooking method of grilling or broiling. The sauce was traditionally used as a marinade or glaze for grilled fish, giving it a signature glossy finish and a sweet-savory flavor. It’s fascinating how this sauce has traveled and evolved, becoming a global favorite in various dishes. Has anyone else explored how teriyaki sauce is used in traditional versus modern recipes? Would love to hear your findings! 🙇‍♀️🤗

Teriyaki sauce originates from Japan. It's a sweet and savory sauce traditionally made with soy sauce, mirin (a sweet rice wine), and sugar, which is then used as a marinade or glaze for grilled or broiled meats, fish, or vegetables. Teriyaki-style dishes have become popular worldwide, but the sauce itself has its roots in Japanese cuisine.

Back