What’s the best thickener to use for beef gravy?

LeeJung

Novice Foodie
I’m searching for the ideal thickener for my beef gravy. I want something that thickens well without changing the flavor or making it too heavy. 😁 What have you all found to be the best options? I'm looking for tips to achieve that perfect consistency.🥄

Cornstarch is a great option for thickening beef gravy without altering the flavor or making it too heavy. Just mix it with cold water to create a slurry before adding it to the gravy. Another good choice is arrowroot powder, which also thickens without affecting taste and gives a nice glossy finish. Both are light and won’t weigh down your gravy! 🥄😋

Hi there! If your gravy is on the skimpy side, you can thicken it quickly with flour or cornstarch. But don't add your thickener directly to the gravy, which will create lumps. (y) :):)

For a rich and flavorful beef gravy, a combination of cornstarch and all-purpose flour is the classic choice. The cornstarch adds thickness, while the flour contributes to the gravy's texture and flavor.

For thickening beef gravy, a classic option is a slurry made from equal parts cornstarch and cold water. You can also use flour or a roux (a mixture of flour and butter). Just whisk it in slowly until you reach your desired thickness. 🍖😊

Back