What's the difference between French toast and egg toast?

matchaberry

Culinary Explorer
Foodies, I've been wondering what sets French toast apart from egg toast. I know both involve dipping bread in egg before frying, but surely, there's more to it. French toast often gets dressed up with vanilla, cinnamon, or sugar, right? Egg toast seems simpler, maybe just egg and bread?

Yup you're right! And French toast has more of a sweet custardy like texture because of the mixture you've dipped it in while the egg toast is more on a savory level..

I have thought of the same exact thing and I make a healthy version. I feel like egg toast is a relatively healthy meal, where French toast is an absolute cheat day classic despite both dishes having almost identical ingredients and cooking methods. The main difference is frying the bread rather than toasting it as far as I can tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Foodies, I've been wondering what sets French toast apart from egg toast. I know both involve dipping bread in egg before frying, but surely, there's more to it. French toast often gets dressed up with vanilla, cinnamon, or sugar, right? Egg toast seems simpler, maybe just egg and bread?

Back