Why are candied yams made with sweet potatoes?

EternalVoyager

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone, I'm just curious. Why do people use sweet potatoes instead of true yams? Does it have to do with nutritional value or saving costs? or are there any other reasons??

People often use sweet potatoes instead of true yams due to availability and familiarity in certain regions. Additionally, sweet potatoes offer a similar texture and sweetness, along with being rich in nutrients like beta-carotene, making them a popular choice for various dishes. 🍠🥔

People often use sweet potatoes instead of true yams due to availability and familiarity in certain regions. Additionally, sweet potatoes offer a similar texture and sweetness, along with being rich in nutrients like beta-carotene, making them a popular choice for various dishes. 🍠🥔
Wow. Thanks for the info ..I totally believe that's true!

Sweet potatoes, in my opinion, are more suited for canning because of their softer texture and sweeter flavour. Even though sweet potatoes are used in most recipes, the word "yam" has stayed.

It's a bit of a misnomer. In the US, what we commonly refer to as "yams" are actually sweet potatoes. They're naturally sweet and perfect for candied yams recipes!

Back