A Fresh nettles pesto 🌿

laplus

Tasty Apprentice
nettles.jpg
I just had the sudden urge for some fresh nettles pesto and I found a great recipe that looks really good. I wanted to share it with you so you can enjoy it too! Nettles can be really delicious when prepared well, and this recipe seems to hit all the right notes. I think you'll love it as much as I do.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh nettles
  • 250g pasta (I use linguine)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup olives, pitted and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 4-5 sardines, cleaned and deboned
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Freshly grated Parmigiano cheese for serving
Instructions:
  1. Begin by gathering fresh nettles. Wear gloves to protect your hands from stings. Wash the nettles thoroughly, then pour hot boiling water over them. Drain and chop them finely.
  2. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil for cooking the pasta.
  3. In a saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become tender.
  4. Add the chopped nettles, olives, capers, minced garlic, and white wine to the saucepan.
  5. In a mortar, pound the sardines into a paste. Add the sardine paste to the saucepan and cook the sauce for about 10 minutes over low heat.
  6. While the sauce is cooking, add salt to the boiling water in the pot. Cook the spaghetti until it is just al dente, which should take about 8 minutes.
  7. Drain the cooked spaghetti and toss it into the saucepan with the prepared sauce. Mix until the pasta is well coated with the sauce.
  8. Serve the nettle and sardine pasta immediately, topped with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmigiano cheese.
Give it a try and let me know what you think! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try, and this one is a definite winner in my book. Happy cooking!

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more greens into my meals. How strong is the flavor of the nettles in the pesto? Would you say it's more subtle or does it stand out prominently?

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more greens into my meals. How strong is the flavor of the nettles in the pesto? Would you say it's more subtle or does it stand out prominently?
You're welcome! Nettles will give your pesto a subtle earthy and nutty flavor. Feel free to experiment with it and enjoy! 🌿

Back