Any idea why my country gravy ends up tasting like flour?

palateprince

Culinary Explorer
Hi everyone! 🥄 I've noticed that my country gravy sometimes has a strong flour taste. Any insights on why this happens and how to prevent it? I'd love to hear your experiences and tips for achieving a perfectly balanced flavor! 😊

Hi everyone! 🥄 I've noticed that my country gravy sometimes has a strong flour taste. Any insights on why this happens and how to prevent it? I'd love to hear your experiences and tips for achieving a perfectly balanced flavor! 😊
Country gravy tasting floury? Don't toss it! Two culprits: not enough fat in the roux or the roux itself wasn't cooked long enough. To fix it, try adding a little more butter or oil to the roux, and cook it until it's golden brown, not pale. Patience is key for delicious, flour-free gravy!

Sounds like your gravy might need more time to cook and thicken! 🍲 Try whisking the flour longer in the fat or adding more liquid gradually until you reach the desired consistency. Happy cooking! 🥄😊

I think seasoning with salt, pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder or paprika can mask any lingering flour taste, though don't overdo it! 🧂🌶️

If your country gravy tastes like flour, it's likely because the flour wasn't cooked enough before adding liquid, causing a raw flour taste. To fix this, ensure the flour is cooked in the fat (like butter or drippings) over medium heat until it turns slightly golden brown before gradually adding liquid and whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Adjust seasoning as needed to balance flavors :)

Back