Authentic Peking Duck Recipe

lizasoberan

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I recently had the pleasure of experiencing the tantalizing flavors of authentic Peking Duck during a trip to Beijing, and I couldn't wait to share this recipe with all of you. Trust me, once you try this, you'll never look at duck the same way again!
Here's what you'll need:
1713913395309.jpeg

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole duck (about 5-6 pounds), cleaned and giblets removed
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine)
  • Salt, to taste
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons maltose (or substitute with honey or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • Thinly sliced green onions and cucumber, for serving
  • Hoisin sauce, for serving
  • Mandarin pancakes or steamed buns, for serving
Instructions:
  1. Rinse the duck inside and out with cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Make sure to remove any excess fat and leftover feathers.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, ground ginger, sesame oil, and Shaoxing wine to create the marinade.
  3. Rub the marinade all over the duck, inside and out, making sure to coat it evenly. Place the duck on a plate and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 6 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to penetrate.
  4. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  5. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt and the white vinegar.
  6. Carefully lower the duck into the boiling water, breast side up. Blanch the duck for about 5 minutes, then remove and drain well.
  7. In a small saucepan, heat the maltose until it becomes a liquid. Brush the melted maltose all over the duck, coating it evenly.
  8. Place the duck on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Roast in the preheated oven for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the skin is crispy and golden brown, and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
  9. Remove the duck from the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
  10. To serve, thinly slice the duck skin and meat and arrange on a platter. Serve with Mandarin pancakes or steamed buns, thinly sliced green onions, cucumber, and hoisin sauce for dipping.
  11. Enjoy the succulent and flavorful taste of authentic Peking Duck with family and friends!
I hope you all give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I did. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences, and let's keep the culinary conversation going!

Back