Beef Wellington

Ajax

Novice Foodie
Hello fellaz, I’d like to share with you my Beef Wellington. This classic dish has tender beef fillets, savory mushrooms, and buttery puff pastry, making it a tasty meal. Here’s what you’ll need:

INGREDIENTS:
IMG_20240220183124.jpg

• 2 beef fillets (about 400g each)
  • Olive oil (for frying)
  • 500g wild mushrooms (mixed varieties), cleaned
  • 1 sprig of thyme (leaves only)
  • 500g puff pastry
  • 8 slices of Parma ham
  • 2 egg yolks (beaten with 1 tbsp water and a pinch of salt)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the red wine sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 200g beef trimmings (ask the butcher to save these when trimming the fillet)
  • 4 large shallots (peeled and sliced)
  • 12 black peppercorns
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • Splash of red wine vinegar
  • 1 bottle (750ml) red wine
  • 750ml beef stock

PREPARATIONS:
  1. Wrap each piece of beef tightly in a triple layer of cling film to set its shape and chill overnight.
  2. Remove the cling film and sear the beef fillets in a hot pan with olive oil for 30-60 seconds until browned all over and rare in the middle. Remove from the pan and cool.
  3. Finely chop the mushrooms and fry with olive oil, thyme leaves, and seasoning until all excess moisture evaporates, creating a mushroom paste (duxelle). Cool the duxelle.
  4. Roll the pastry into rectangles large enough to envelop the beef fillets and chill.
  5. Place Parma ham slices on cling film, spread half the duxelle, then place seasoned beef fillets on top. Roll and tie to form logs. Chill.
  6. Brush the pastry with egg wash, wrap around each ham-wrapped fillet, trim, and brush with egg wash. Chill.
  7. Make the red wine sauce by frying beef trimmings, shallots, peppercorns, bay leaves, and thyme. Deglaze with vinegar, add wine, reduce, then add stock and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the sauce and set aside.
  8. Score the pastry, brush with egg wash, and bake at 200°C/Gas 6 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
  9. Rest the beef wellingtons for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with the reheated sauce.

This dish might require some effort, but rest assured that your hard work will be rewarded with a delicious Beef Wellington. So, give it a try and enjoy! 🫶

Wow, that Beef Wellington recipe sounds absolutely incredible! The combination of tender beef, savory mushrooms, and flaky puff pastry has got my mouth watering already. And that red wine sauce? Oh, it's going to take this dish to a whole new level of deliciousness! I can just imagine the aroma filling the kitchen as it bakes in the oven. This is definitely a recipe worth trying out for a special occasion or even just a cozy night in. Hats off to the chef for sharing such a mouthwatering dish with us! 🎉👏

Great, your Beef Wellington recipe sounds amazing! The combination of tender beef fillets, flavorful mushrooms, and a rich red wine sauce is making my mouth water. I can't wait to try making this dish myself.

Hello fellaz, I’d like to share with you my Beef Wellington. This classic dish has tender beef fillets, savory mushrooms, and buttery puff pastry, making it a tasty meal. Here’s what you’ll need:

INGREDIENTS:View attachment 868
  • 2 beef fillets (about 400g each)
  • Olive oil (for frying)
  • 500g wild mushrooms (mixed varieties), cleaned
  • 1 sprig of thyme (leaves only)
  • 500g puff pastry
  • 8 slices of Parma ham
  • 2 egg yolks (beaten with 1 tbsp water and a pinch of salt)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the red wine sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 200g beef trimmings (ask the butcher to save these when trimming the fillet)
  • 4 large shallots (peeled and sliced)
  • 12 black peppercorns
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 sprig of thyme
  • Splash of red wine vinegar
  • 1 bottle (750ml) red wine
  • 750ml beef stock

PREPARATIONS:
  1. Wrap each piece of beef tightly in a triple layer of cling film to set its shape and chill overnight.
  2. Remove the cling film and sear the beef fillets in a hot pan with olive oil for 30-60 seconds until browned all over and rare in the middle. Remove from the pan and cool.
  3. Finely chop the mushrooms and fry with olive oil, thyme leaves, and seasoning until all excess moisture evaporates, creating a mushroom paste (duxelle). Cool the duxelle.
  4. Roll the pastry into rectangles large enough to envelop the beef fillets and chill.
  5. Place Parma ham slices on cling film, spread half the duxelle, then place seasoned beef fillets on top. Roll and tie to form logs. Chill.
  6. Brush the pastry with egg wash, wrap around each ham-wrapped fillet, trim, and brush with egg wash. Chill.
  7. Make the red wine sauce by frying beef trimmings, shallots, peppercorns, bay leaves, and thyme. Deglaze with vinegar, add wine, reduce, then add stock and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the sauce and set aside.
  8. Score the pastry, brush with egg wash, and bake at 200°C/Gas 6 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
  9. Rest the beef wellingtons for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with the reheated sauce.

This dish might require some effort, but rest assured that your hard work will be rewarded with a delicious Beef Wellington. So, give it a try and enjoy! 🫶
Just with the looks of it, I can feel and imagine how tender the beef in it😋. Thanks for sharing this classic recipe.

Back