🇫🇷🍲 Braised French Onion Soup 🧅

beni

Tasty Apprentice
I was looking for a warm, satisfying supper to make on a chilly winter night. I came onto a well-liked braised French onion soup dish that transported me back to little cafés in Paris. This soup is ideal for providing warmth and coziness. Permit me to provide you the recipe! 🍲

Braised French Onion Soup.jpg
INGREDIENTS:

• Dutch oven
• Food Processor
• Broiler safe bowls
• 5 Medium yellow onions, 3 red onions, 2 white onions cut french style
• Gruyere cheese, 1 block
• Low moisture mozerella cheese, shredded bag
• Beef stock, approx 80 ounces
• Olive oil, 1 to 2 tablespoons
• Butter, 1 to 2 tablespoons
• Garlic powder, to taste
• Thyme, 1 sprig
• Bayleaf, 1 leaf
• Soy sauce, to taste
• Balsamic vinegar, to taste
• Dry sherry, to taste
• Baguette
• Chives

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Braise frenched onions in pot and lid with butter, bayleaf and olive oil with lid on at 340 degrees for 3 hours, checking every 30 minutes and mixing, making sure none of the onions stick to the sides and burn.​
  2. Remove lid, mix, and put back into oven with lid off for 30 more minutes. Remove small portion of onions and put into food processor and set aside.​
  3. Take pot onto medium heat stove, remove bayleaf and deglaze with a splash of sherry.​
  4. Pull leaves from thyme sprig and add it to the small portion of stock into food processor with the onions set aside and blend until the thyme is mixed in and ground evenly and add back into the pot.​
  5. Add the rest of the stock and simmer for 30 minutes, adding salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and sherry to taste. (Careful not to over-season).​
  6. While soup is simmering, slice baguette and drizzle with olive oil and garlic powder and toast in the oven at 270 for 10 minutes or until toasted. Shred cheeses and make a 3 to 1 blend of gruyere and mozzarella.​
  7. Ladle soup into bowl, add 3 to 4 slices of baguette and add a generous amount of shredded cheese blend to the top, making sure it covers the entire portion of bread and soup and is almost spilling over the sides.​
  8. Put bowls into broiler for 1 to 2 minutes OR use a hand torch to melt the cheese until it is sizzling au gratin. Let cool down for 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve.​
This recipe is one I developed from trial and error because I wanted to make the best possible version of this classic soup. No flour, no sugar added, the only sweetness is from the onions which become extremely soft and caramelized braising slowly in the oven. Also, using homemade stock is highly recommended. Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated!

Back