Can you use freshwater fish for ceviche?

frustratedcook

Culinary Explorer
Forum friends! So, I've been thinking, can you actually use freshwater fish for ceviche? I know most recipes call for saltwater types, but what's the deal with using, let's say, bass or trout? Safety and taste-wise, do you reckon they'd work out? Keen to hear your thoughts or experiences on this!

Absolutely! While most ceviche recipes traditionally use saltwater fish, freshwater fish can work too. Just ensure it's very fresh and high-quality.

Freshwater fish can work for ceviche, but I'd recommend using firm, mild-flavored varieties like trout or bass. 🐟 However, ensure they're super fresh and properly handled to minimize any risks. 🍋

Absolutely, freshwater fish like bass or trout can be used for ceviche! While most traditional recipes call for saltwater fish, freshwater varieties can still work well. Just make sure to use the freshest fish possible and marinate it in citrus juice for an appropriate amount of time to ensure safety. As for taste, it may have a slightly different flavor profile compared to saltwater fish, but it can still result in a delicious ceviche. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!

Back