Cardcaptor Cake: Sakura Strawberry Shortcake 🍰🍓

isekaikigai

Novice Foodie
Been missing some of my faves from childhood... But, I remembered the shortcake that's got all the vibes of our favorite magical girl show. Because, honestly, who didn’t fantasize about living in Sakura’s world as a kid? So here, I'm sharing a mix with little bit of that sweet, sweet nostalgia.

Cardcaptor Sakura Strawberry Shortcake.jpg

What You Need for the Magic to Happen:

Sponge Cake:​

• 4 large eggs
  • 120g granulated sugar
  • 120g all-purpose flour
  • 40g unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Syrup:​

• 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon kirsch or strawberry liqueur (optional)

Filling and Frosting:​

• 2 cups heavy cream
  • ÂĽ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • Additional whole strawberries for decoration
Sponge Cake Spells:
  1. Mix Magic: Whisk 4 eggs and 120g sugar until fluffy. Gently fold in 120g flour and a mixture of 40g melted butter with a dash of vanilla.
  2. Baking Portal: Pour into an 8-inch pan lined with parchment. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 25 mins. Let cool, then slice horizontally into layers.
Syrup Sorcery:
  1. Sweet Elixir: Dissolve 2 tablespoons sugar in 3 tablespoons water, cool, then enchant with a tablespoon of kirsch or strawberry liqueur.
Frosting & Assembly Incantations:
  1. Cream Clouds: Whip 2 cups heavy cream with ÂĽ cup powdered sugar and vanilla to soft peaks.
  2. Layer Levitation: Brush each cake layer with syrup, spread whipped cream, and sprinkle sliced strawberries. Stack, frost the outside, and crown with whole strawberries.
And just like that, you're ready to create a strawberry shortcake that brings back the nostalgia of our childhood! It’s like being a kid again but with the added bonus of eating something you made yourself. Hope you like this recipe!

Back