Chicken Pot Pie

johnlloyd

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my go-to recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. It's a classic comfort food that always hits the spot, especially on a chilly evening. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! Let me know if you give it a try or have any tweaks. šŸ˜Š

Ingredients:​

• For the Filling:
    • 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie chicken works great!)
    • 1 cup carrots, diced
    • 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
    • 1 cup potatoes, diced
    • 1/2 cup celery, diced
    • 1/3 cup butter
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
    • 2/3 cup milk
  • For the Crust:
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2/3 cup shortening or cold butter, cut into pieces
    • 5-7 tablespoons ice-cold water

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt.
    • Cut in the shortening or butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    • Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the dough forms a ball.
    • Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Make the Filling:
    • Preheat your oven to 425Ā°F (220Ā°C).
    • In a large saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/3 cup flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until well blended.
    • Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk, cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
    • Add the shredded chicken, carrots, peas, potatoes, and celery to the sauce. Mix well and remove from heat.
  3. Assemble the Pie:
    • Roll out one portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface to fit your 9-inch pie dish. Place the dough in the dish and trim the edges.
    • Pour the chicken mixture into the crust.
    • Roll out the second portion of dough and place it over the filling. Trim, seal, and flute the edges.
    • Cut several small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
  4. Bake:
    • Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
    • Let the pie cool for about 10 minutes before serving to make it easier to cut and enjoy.

Tips:​

• You can use store-bought pie crusts if youā€™re short on time.
  • Feel free to add other veggies you like or have on hand!
  • If you want a creamier filling, you can add a bit more milk or even a splash of heavy cream.
    Chicken Pot Pie.jpg
Can't wait to hear what you all think or if you have any tweaks to suggest! Happy cooking! šŸ„§šŸ—

Yum! šŸ—šŸ„§ This chicken pot pie recipe looks like pure comfort food. Perfect for a cozy night in! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try it out!

Back