🥩🍅 Chinese Beef Tomato Stew Recipe 🍲

AOKN

Culinary Explorer
As the winter freeze took over, I was craving something to warm me up inside and out. I couldn't stop thinking about my grandma's Chinese Beef Tomato Stew. So I decided to put my own spin on it and recreate this heartwarming dish. Now I just want to share the love (and the calories) with everyone! 🍲❤️

Ingredients
  • Beef shin 500g​
  • Beef tomatoes x 4-5​
  • Pure cane sugar 20g​
  • Star anise x 1​
  • Cinnamon stick x ½​
  • Bay leaf x 3​
  • Ginger x 3 slices​
  • Soybean paste 1 tablespoon​
Instructions
chinese tomato stew.jpg
  1. Soak the beef in cold unseasoned water ahead of time to get rid of the excessive blood in the meat.​
  2. Change the water 2-3 times while soaking your beef. Towards the end, you should be able to notice, the meat has visibly become “whiter”.​
  3. While we are soaking the beef shin, we can start preparing the beef tomatoes. Give them a light cross cut on top. Make sure you cut through the skin.​
  4. Bring a pot of water to a boil and gently drop your tomatoes in, let them sit for a good 30 seconds.​
  5. Take them out and rinse under cold water then peel their skin off.​
  6. Cut peeled tomatoes into small chunks, approximately 2cm x 2cm.​
  7. Heat up a cooking pot, and add ½ tbsp of vegetable oil, wait for it to heat up. Add 1 star anise, ½ cinnamon stick, 3 pieces of bay leaves, and 3 slices of ginger in the oil quickly stir fry.​
  8. After the smell of the spices is released, add your beef shin in the pot and 1 tbsp of Soybean (yellow bean) paste, stir fry until meat is browned nicely.​
  9. Add tomatoes to the pot with ¼ tsp of salt, mix well, put the lid on, and let it cook on medium-high heat until tomatoes are soft.​
  10. Add 20g pure cane sugar to the stew. Change to low heat and let it cook until tomato juice could cover your meat in the cooking pot.​
  11. Take the spices out and put the stew in your pressure cooker. I set mine to stew mode, which is 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook this in a pot but you may need to cook for longer to allow for the stew to reduce.​
  12. Serve and garnish it any way you want.​

Your step-by-step instructions make it seem totally doable, even for someone like me who's not a master chef. I love that it's a comforting dish perfect for chilly nights or when I need a little taste of home. Can't wait to give this a try ✨👍😉😋

Your Chinese Beef Tomato Stew recipe looks fantastic! 🥩🍅🍲 Love how hearty and flavorful it appears. Perfect for a cozy dinner on a chilly night. Can't wait to cook this up and savor every bite! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

Back