Classic Chicken Vesuvio Recipe - A Taste of Old-School Italian Comfort

wolfgang

Culinary Explorer
This iconic dish, hailing from the bustling kitchens of Chicago, is a delicious fusion of Italian flavors and American flair. Imagine tender chicken pieces, sautéed with garlic, fragrant herbs, and golden potatoes, then roasted to perfection until crispy and golden. Chicken Vesuvio is a celebration of simple yet comforting ingredients that come together to create a dish that is both hearty and satisfying. It's a culinary journey that evokes memories of Sunday family dinners and cozy gatherings with loved ones. So, join me as we delve into the art of preparing this classic Chicken Vesuvio recipe.

Ingredients:
Classic Chicken Vesuvio Recipe - A Taste of Old-School Italian Comfort.jpg

• 4 chicken leg quarters (or 8 chicken thighs), skin-on
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1 pound (450g) Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Instructions:

1. Preheat the Oven:
    • Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Season and Brown the Chicken:
    • Season the chicken leg quarters with salt and pepper on both sides.
    • In a large oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
    • Add the chicken leg quarters to the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Flip the chicken and brown the other side for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
  3. Prepare the Sauce:
    • In the same skillet, add the minced garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes (if using). Sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
    • Deglaze the skillet with white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
    • Pour in the chicken broth and add the sliced lemon to the skillet. Bring the liquid to a simmer.
  4. Bake the Chicken and Potatoes:
    • Return the browned chicken leg quarters to the skillet, nestling them into the sauce.
    • Add the quartered Yukon Gold potatoes to the skillet, arranging them around the chicken.
    • Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
  5. Finish and Serve:
    • Once the chicken and potatoes are cooked, remove the skillet from the oven.
    • Stir in the thawed peas and unsalted butter, tossing them with the chicken and potatoes until the butter is melted and the peas are heated through.
    • Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
    • Serve the Chicken Vesuvio hot, family-style, and enjoy the comforting flavors of this classic Italian-American dish!

Man, Chicken Vesuvio is the real deal! It's like a taste explosion of Italian and American goodness. I can practically smell those herbs and garlic sizzling away. Thanks for sharing this mouthwatering recipe—it's definitely going on my must-try list!

Ah, Classic Chicken Vesuvio—a timeless favorite! 🍗🇮🇹 There's just something so comforting about the flavors of this old-school Italian dish. Tender chicken, crispy potatoes, fragrant garlic, and flavorful herbs all come together in a symphony of deliciousness. It's like a taste of Italy right in your kitchen! Thanks for sharing this recipe—I can't wait to bring a little Italian flair to my dinner table tonight! 😋👌

Back