Cuban Roasted Pork Leg (Pernil) Recipe

Marich

Flavorful Connoisseur
Cuban Roasted Pork Leg Pernil.jpg
Hey there! I just tried making this amazing Cuban Roasted Pork Leg yesterday, and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious! The flavors of garlic, citrus, and herbs really make this dish stand out, and it’s perfect for gatherings or a special family dinner. The best part? It’s easier than you might think! So, let’s dive in and get cooking!

Ingredients:

• 12 garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 6 sprigs fresh oregano leaves
  • ½ cup Delicioso Adobo (see below for the recipe)
  • 1 cup store-bought Mojo sauce
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 4 limes, juiced
  • 1 (14 to 16-pound) bone-in whole fresh pork leg
Delicioso Adobo:
  • 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder or flakes
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tablespoon achiote powder
  • ½ tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon salt
Directions:
  1. Start by prepping the garlic. Cut the cloves in half lengthwise and then smash them with the side of a chef's knife. Sprinkle the salt over the smashed garlic and chop it up until it forms a paste. If you have a mortar and pestle, that works great too! Just smash the garlic halves first.
  2. Chop the fresh oregano and mix it into the garlic paste. Then, transfer this mix into a large bowl. Add the Delicioso Adobo, Mojo sauce, orange juice, and lime juice. Stir everything together until well combined.
  3. Now, let’s get the pork ready! Place it in a roasting pan and score the surface in a crosshatch pattern using a sharp knife. This helps the marinade soak in. Pour the marinade over the pork, making sure it gets into those incisions. Cover and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to a day. If you can, turn it a couple of times for even flavor.
  4. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Take the pork out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
  5. Roast the pork for 30 minutes at the high temperature. After that, lower the oven to 350°F (175°C) and continue roasting until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily. You want it to reach an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C). Remember to baste with the marinade every 30 minutes. The total roasting time will be around 5 to 5½ hours.
  6. Once it’s done, remove the pork from the oven and let it rest, covered loosely with foil, for about 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.

Delicioso Adobo: Yield: about ½ cup

This adobo is a fantastic seasoning for many Latin dishes. You can make a big batch and store it in an airtight container. Just mix all the measured ingredients in a small glass jar, shake it up, and keep it in a cool, dry place for up to two weeks.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! It’s a real showstopper at the dinner table! 🥳

This Cuban Roasted Pork Leg recipe looks mouthwatering! The crispy skin and juicy meat must be full of flavor. It seems like the perfect centerpiece for a special meal. I can’t wait to try making this at home! 🐖🌟

Back