Dashi - Japanese Soup Stock

Ruth_

Tasty Apprentice
Discover the rich and umami-packed base of many Japanese dishes with homemade Dashi, a simple and essential soup stock.

🍽️ **Ingredients**:
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece kombu (dried kelp), about 4x4 inches
- 1/2 cup bonito flakes (katsuobushi)

Dashi.jpg

🍳 **Instructions**:
1. **Prepare the Kombu**:
- Wipe the kombu gently with a damp cloth to clean it, but do not remove the white powdery substance on the surface, as it adds flavor.

2. **Heat the Kombu**:
- Place the kombu in a pot with the water.
- Heat over medium heat until just before the water boils. Remove the kombu just as bubbles start to form, around 170-180°F (75-80°C).

3. **Add Bonito Flakes**:
- Add the bonito flakes to the pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 seconds.

4. **Strain the Dashi**:
- Remove the pot from heat and let the bonito flakes settle to the bottom for a few minutes.
- Strain the dashi through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl or another pot.

Your homemade Dashi is now ready to use as a base for soups, sauces, and many other Japanese dishes!

Discover the rich and umami-packed base of many Japanese dishes with homemade Dashi, a simple and essential soup stock.

🍽️ **Ingredients**:
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece kombu (dried kelp), about 4x4 inches
- 1/2 cup bonito flakes (katsuobushi)

View attachment 5231

🍳 **Instructions**:
1. **Prepare the Kombu**:
- Wipe the kombu gently with a damp cloth to clean it, but do not remove the white powdery substance on the surface, as it adds flavor.

2. **Heat the Kombu**:
- Place the kombu in a pot with the water.
- Heat over medium heat until just before the water boils. Remove the kombu just as bubbles start to form, around 170-180°F (75-80°C).

3. **Add Bonito Flakes**:
- Add the bonito flakes to the pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 seconds.

4. **Strain the Dashi**:
- Remove the pot from heat and let the bonito flakes settle to the bottom for a few minutes.
- Strain the dashi through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl or another pot.

Your homemade Dashi is now ready to use as a base for soups, sauces, and many other Japanese dishes!
I love making dashi! I think straining it well is crucial to getting a clear, clean broth though. Have any tips for that? 🥄✨

Wow, dashi looks like a game-changer for adding authentic Japanese flavor! ✨ I bet it brings so much depth to soups and dishes. Thanks for sharing this recipe—I’m excited to try making it myself!

Dashi is the backbone of so many amazing Japanese dishes! 🍲 The umami from the kombu and bonito flakes is unbeatable. I like to add a little shiitake for extra depth. 😋

Back